Sound card issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldManJimbo, Nov 27, 2004.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

My 12" Rev PowerBook has developed a very strong "hiss" when recording through a Roland UA-30 USB interface - and I can't figure out how to eliminate the noise.

I do some voice over work (not much) with Audacity and have not had any problems until today. No matter what settings I use, there's a distinct level of noise in the background.

I have checked to see that the on-board mic is turned off, have restarted twice. Even with the mic unplugged there is still noise when recording what should be complete silence.

The mic I use - Sony ECM-261- won't provide enough volume to record directly into the on-board audio of the PB, which is why I use the Roland pre-amp.

I'd love to go direct to the PB - any ideas on a mic to use for that purpose? Or, any ideas on what may be casuing this background noise.

I have a client who is waiting for some audio and I'll need to rent a studio if I can't get it fixed soon.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

How do you control the level with that interface? Is there a physical control or is it in software?

Either way it might be that the gain control (level) is turned right up, even the best pre-amps hiss when run flat out.

Try adjusting the input level and see if the hiss goes away, then check you're getting enough level from the mic.

You might also have the input level turned right down, and be listening to the audio flat out in the Mac, try reducing the overall level and increasing the input from the interface.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

The Roland UA-30 has a mic level control and a master volume control - both are withn normal settings. The "hiss" is more like electronic trash than the noise caused by having volumes set too high.

I appreciate the suggestions.

I have decided this may have something to do with the latest Panther update 10.3.6. It's the only thing I can see that is different from the last time I used the UA-30.

So, I did some research and found a new USB mic that works great with Garageband and Audacity - it is called the MicFlex - $50 US - and seems to have better quality than the Sony mic + Roland pre-amp.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Have you looked for a driver update on the roland site? If it's an OS upgrade issue, then they might not know about it yet, drop them a line and see what happens.

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

The UA-30 appears to be a unit that has dropped off the "active" list at Roland as it is not listed among the products on their web site. I was able to find an independent page that featured the UA-30 and in the space where many of the items had links to a download, the footnote regarding the UA-30 said that it was supported by drivers included in the "latest Mac OS."

The unit has reached the end of its usefulness and I plan to add it to the large box of "stuff that still works but has been replaced by new technology."

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, I've got a box like that too....

Take a look at the M-audio 410 firewire box, it's very nice, buut might be a bit pricey for your tastes, you could always wait for Apple to release their rumoured break-out box... :D