Sound Card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by G5Unit, May 23, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'm looking for a sound card upgrade for my PowerMac G5. I want to get the best quality possible on a 50 -75 dollar budget. I hooked up my mini shelf system to my audio port in back. I used a cord that separates it into 2 L and R (red white). Am I already getting good quality as it is? Or could I use my mini shelf system plus a bunch of computer speaker with a 7.1 surround sound card.

2. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you can't tell how the sound is, why do you care? Why spend money to get "better" sound quality if you can't tell the difference?

If you insist on a new sound card, here is one that should work.

4. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

i use a USB to optical adapter ( i think it's made by M-audio too) and send it to my amp/receiver which is connected to some proper speakers.

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Does anyone know how many bits the sound card in the G5 is?

6. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Apple does.

Check page 22.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

So I'm not going to get much better quality even if I buy a sound card?

8. Poeben macrumors 6502

What exactly do you intend on listening to? If you mainly listen to mp3 and AAC files, you have already lost most of the quality you could possibly gain by having a better sound card. Save your money for better speakers and a receiver with optical inputs.

That being said, the analog outs on the G5 are horrendously noisy. If this is what is bothering you perhaps a new sound card will help you, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make in your situation. I have a rather complex setup and cannot stand the noise from the analog outs, therefore I don't use them. In another situation I may not care so much.

9. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Is this system going to decrease my sound quality?
    [​IMG]

10. brap macrumors 68000

Firstly, you aren't going to get audiophile quality from an all-in-one system of that type... secondly -- why are your rear speakers sat up front, and your centre way off to the left?!

That's got to be fscking surreal, dude.

11. Poeben macrumors 6502

It looks like it already has. It appears that you have some sort of surround thing going on there, eh? First thing I would recommend is some better speaker placement. Bottom line is are you satisfied? If you are then great, that's all that matters. If not then relocate your speakers, make sure you don't have any ground/RFI problems, or go ahead and replace your sound card. There is always something better out there. If you want the "best" then be prepared to spend $30,000 on a home stereo system. Sorry folks, but Bose just doesn't cut it either.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Back to the original question:
    Your G5 has an analog stereo output at 16 bit 44.1 KHz (CD standard) (although it can do 24/48 I don;t know of any application that uses it)

It also has an optical S/PDIF output. The optical out can carry 5.1 surround signals IF your source material is 5.1 and your stereo component has an optical input AND a surround decoder.

All of the above is subject to the quality of your source material, the ability of the software playing it to transmit surround sound (otherwise you'll get stereo), and the quality of your audio components.

Given the equipment you have now, there's not much point to upgrading.

If you do want to spend some bucks, there are some higher end surround computer speakers such as from Logitech, which have an optical input and the surround decoder (and their own amplifiers, natch). This would hook to your G5's optical out, and probably give a noticeable improvement in sound over your existing system.
    Creative Inspire GD580 US$200 http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=25&product=9137
    Logitech® Z-5500 Digital US$375 approx.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I'll throw a recommendation at the Revolution 7.1. My PC is running a card that, although not made by M-Audio, uses the same Envy chipset, and it was enough to improve sound quality on mediocre speakers. My speakers were in the right places though.....

14. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah, I had a Revo 7.1 card in the PC a while back, too. Wonderful quality when it was hooked up to a fairly middling AV amp -- coaxial out only, though IIRC. The DirectX (lack of) support made me get rid; obviously in a Mac, that won't be much of an issue!