sound card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsulens, Jul 12, 2004.

1. jsulens macrumors member

is it possible to use an external sound card with a powerbook. i was looking at a usb sound blaster and i wasnt sure if it would work with a mac powerbook. does anyone know if this will work? also has anyone had any experience using something like this? thanks.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

If you want an external sound card for the mac go with M-audio. Best sound cards for mac or pc and awesome support.

Check out www.m-audio.com for their Sonica Theater 7.1 USB Sound Card or their ultra-mobile USB Transit audio upgrade for Laptops.

The Sound Blaster will not work with your powerbook, but I'd go for M-audio anyways... ;) :)

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

awesome support? I have a revolution 7.1 who's drivers havent been updated since 2003. It uses a stand alone application, which you launch from the SYSTEM PREFERENCES!?!?!?! Apparently, they are unable to create a simple preference pane. I contacted them about this several times, with ZERO responses.

I recently saw a new break out box over at Tom's Hardware, I think it was called the Terratec Hyperion, it runs off of Firewire and has plenty of outputs. All I wanted is a S/PDIF connection tho, so I may just buy the M-Audio USB Transit altho I hate USB as well as M-Audio. They make excellent hardware...but their software is so pathetic its ridiculous.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

M-Audio has various solutions, including Sonica and Sonica Theater, Audiophile USB and FireWire models.

My sonica uses a preference pane which fits neatly into the System Preferences. Both hardware and software seem to work quite well. The Audiophile PCI card is on my list though, just because I have so many USB devices.

5. jsulens thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, i am going to take a look at what m-audio has to offer!