Sound Cards For PowerMac g3 b/w?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andrew34kay, Dec 30, 2004.

1. andrew34kay macrumors newbie

Hi, i just got a powermac g3 blue and white, is it possible to hook it up to my 5.1 speakers with a pci sound card? im new to mac os x and im not sure what it supports. thanks for any replies.

-Andrew

2. bshelly macrumors newbie

andrew34kay,

You can get an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1 card to do what you want and it's OSX compatible. Newegg.com is currently out of stock, but here is the product link for the 5.1:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-116&depa=8

Link for the 7.1:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-101&depa=8

According to their website, the 5.1 card back in stock on 1/3/05. No ETA for the 7.1. You can always check elsewhere for these cards, but Newegg's price and service are often better than other online stores.

Also, be sure to get the latest drivers from M-Audio's website to ensure the most up to date compatibility.

Hope this info helps. Have a great new year!

-Bill Shelly

3. andrew34kay thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks, so my sound blaster audigy would be compatible? well tath is ok, as long as i can use all my speakers. thanks

-Andrew

4. bshelly macrumors newbie

No, that is incorrect. Sound Blaster (Creative Labs) products will not work on any hardware running OSX.

M-Audio is a different company and makes the Revolution line of audio cards which are compatible with OSX.

-Bill

5. andrew34kay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

ya that is what i thought, i guess the way i posted it didnt sound like that. sorry. :) Well thanks for your replies. I think that I will get the Newegg sound card. Thanks.

-Andrew

6. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Yah .. you're probably good with one of hr Maudio series .. their products and driver support for OSX are good and reliable ..

7. bshelly macrumors newbie

No problem. Please let me know if you like the card once you get it.

-Bill