Sound Cards in Powerbooks.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ryan McCanical, May 6, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the 1.33ghz 12" powerbook. When I plug my nice Sony headphones into the headphone jack, i notice that anything under 100hz is really distorted no matter how loud or soft I turn the volume. Is there something wrong with my sound card or are these sound cards just crap? Even when I turn down the EQ on low frequencies in Itunes, it still sounds either distored or simply not present. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm heading to the Apple store tommorrow anyway. Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502a

The powerbook is quite widely used by audio pro's so I would have to assume that a decent to good sound card is installed by default. Complaints about the sound are not very common on these boards, so I think you should inquire with apple as to the problems your having.

BEN

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. haha. I actuallyhave a pro tools system I keep pluggin into, so thats why I knew that it wasnt just the headphones.

I'm gonna definitely hit up the apple store tommorrow and see what they can do for me.

4. macrumors 6502a

Yes, but audio pros don't rely on built in soundcards. Most use RME cardbus systems, Echo cardbus systems, Metic Halo FW units, Mbox from Digidesign, or any of the audio cards/interfaces using USB or FW from Tascam, Edirol, Motu, M-Audio, or Lexicon.

As for complaints about in-built audio on PBs, they are there, but yours sound more severe than most.

5. macrumors 65816

does anyone know of a firewire or usb to digital audio output device? to connect a 12" pb to my logitech z680s. thx.

6. macrumors G3

Counterfit