sound cards...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mnkeybsness, Aug 26, 2002.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

does anyone know if there are any sound cards out there that i can put into my powermac and are os x 10.2 compatible...i haven't found any...and recommendations would be greatly appreciated...i'm looking for a sound card because i need a line-out to plug into my stereo...the headphone jack just doesn't cut it...

2. vniow macrumors G4

If you've got a S/PDIF input, you can use the Sonica from M-Audio, and if you don't trythe Hi-fi link from Xitel
    Both are USB, but if you don't want to go that route, Creative labs has a 4.1 Soundblaster for the Mac, but like all Soundblasters, does 44.1khz to 48.1khz resampling, so avoid them if you can, otherwise go for a USB one. They're free from internal computer noise and you don't have to install any drivers for them and they should work in Jaguar.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The Creative card is still only for OS 9. *sigh*

Maybe one day Apple will have digital inputs/outputs built-in...

4. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

a WHAT?

5. mueng macrumors member

S/PDIF =optical in/out. As opposed to coxial or analog.

6. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i do have an optical in...but i would rather not use that for my computer since it is already being used by my dvd player...

i've got a question about that Xitel Hi-Fi...

so will this work with os X???? it says it works with iTunes also...but it mentions nothing about os X

7. vniow macrumors G4

The Xitel should work with any OSX version past 10.1.2 or one of those updates, I can't remember which one enabled USB audio, but it should work. You still can use S/PDIF if you get a little switch box at Radio Shack, but if music is all you're going to listen to with it, just get the Xitel. The Sonica's mostly for 5.1 output, although it would sound better through the S/PDIF. Oh do you have a coaxial input on your reciever? If so, you can get a USB to coaxial box to plug in to your reciever. :)

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

i have the sonica and it is great. There is no better option out there.

insidemacgames.com will be having a review of it soon. check it out.

9. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

hey thanks everybody...

...i think i'm going to get the Xitel HiFi...mainly because it's only for music...i don't watch dvds on my computer because i've got a high quality dvd player and i don't do all that much gaming.

10. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

One question:

I've got my PowerMac connected to my stereo by a cable that plugs into the phones port and plugs again into the AUX IN of my stereo. I don't have any complaints about it, the stereo is awsome and gives me a excelent sound( The music even sounds better when played from itunes than the CD)! If I bought a SoundCard would I notice any difference at all, playing music or playing a Wolfenstein??

11. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

right now i'm doing the same thing as you are...but i have a 5.1 setup (though i just want to run 2.1 for my itunes) and i get a low frequency tone coming through my subwoofer that is annoying as hell because of the small wattage output for the headphones