Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
Does sound check work for any of you guys??! I have sound check in iTunes and on my iPod and it doesn't work. One song will be the right volume and the next song will leave my ears ringing. Any Tips? Thanks happy X-mas!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I was very happy to hear this feature was making it's way into iTunes, and watched as iTunes scanned my library to adjust volumes, but i have noticed no difference. Certainly no song's preset volume is altered, and they don't sound any different. There are a few songs i've gone in and altered myself, to some success...

Anyone else? i thought this was just me...

:)
pnw

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Re: Sound Check? No.

Originally posted by coopdog
Does sound check work for any of you guys??! I have sound check in iTunes and on my iPod and it doesn't work. One song will be the right volume and the next song will leave my ears ringing. Any Tips? Thanks happy X-mas!

The sound equalizer does not work for me, either. When I first tried it, iTunes scanned my music library; but I did not notice any improvements to the sound volume levels. I did, however, have to replace several recordings of brass bands because iTunes left what sounded like a scratchy record in place of the original MP3 files. I thought that my speakers had been blown out for a minute there, but then I realized what had caused the noise.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
It does actually work. I used to have to adjust the volume of any songs I...got..but now I never do..they're all the same...Perhaps you didn't have enough difference in the original volumes to notice if the sound check did anything...

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I think it depends on what speakers you have. A relatively cheap pair of computer speakers would distort anyway and you would notice the recordings being the same. However on my Gale Hi-FI speakers, some tracks that sound great with real deep bass turn into a horrible distorted mess with sound check enabled. It is causing clipping which is bad for your speakers, apple should really sort this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.