Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjgonzales

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Texas
I am working on a couple of project movies for a family reunion coming up and would really like to incorporate several selections of classical music. The problem is the wide range of dynamics. Since this is not an audiophile type of project I would like to compress the audio to to a more uniform, consistant volume to simply complement the movie I am worlking on. Any advice??

I am by no means any kind of professional so spending a lot of money is not really of any intrest to me.

Thanks,

RJ

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you don't say which software you're using, but you'll probably get better results by automating the volume. since each piece has already been mastered and has good volume control relative to itself, i suspect you'll just have to set the volume for each song once.

if the volume differences between songs varies greatly, any compressor (especially a cheap one) is going to have to work hard and that's when things will start to sound funky.

how often is it that the best solution is also the cheapest?
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.