Sound cracking in iTunes 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Rules, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hi guys n girls,

well as the title suggests, every so often iTunes, after working perefctly fine, will suddenly start crackling, every song. The only way to stop itis to close iTunes and reopen it. I've reinstalled iTunes + Quicktime both together and indiviually...

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. ncfcstar macrumors member

This happened to me while I was listening to a podcast. I realised it was every time i loaded a new page on Firefox, really strange, doesn't happen when I'm listening to music though :confused:

3. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

I've noticed that everytime Live Messenger has a pop-up it starts...

Cheers

4. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Anybody have any ideas on how to sort this?

Cheers

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I know what you mean...whiles I was previewing songs in itunes it started to freak out...I closed itunes and started it again....same thing again....but it hasn't done it today though.

Bless

6. mleary macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem with Itunes 7 on windows. Music cracks/skips really badly, can't even listen to it. It does not happen all of the time, but most of the time.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I think that this issue in Windows at least is due to the sound drivers, i've had the same problem, but with any media player. it tends to happen more when i for example, switch focus on windows, minimize, maximize, open a menu. whatever. but it also does it when it's idle. :confused: haven't come across the problem on the mac side though.

8. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I'm having distorted sound in iTunes7/Quicktime on OSX Tiger...this was never an issue with iTunes 6....hopefully someone figures out what is going on.

9. Mac Rules thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Well my temporary solution to this is that I turned off all the alerts from Live Messenger, this means that I can listen to music for longer, but if I open a new window it'll do it....

They really need to reduce the amount of RAM iTunes is using, when using Coverflow, my RAM usuage goes all the way to 155Mb!!!!

I'm not very impressed at the moment!

Cheers

10. Jimmery macrumors member

something that helped me:

In iTunes, try:
    Edit --> Preferences --> Playback (tab) --> Sound Enhancer (make sure it's checked)

11. tacoboy42 macrumors newbie

i had to go back to 6.0.5 you can find instructions how to do it, only thing that worked for me.