Sound editing programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Arito, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Arito macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2004

A really basic question, don't know if this is the appropriate section but I reckon you guys will know this :). Is there a program (like Soundedit in the past, which was perfect for me) that can edit sound files (at least AIFF or mp3, rest is bonus)? Garageband itself is awesome for playing and rearranging but I'm not really enthusiastic about its editing applicabilities. Amadeus is pretty much what I'm looking for but as far as I can tell (and for a reason i REALLY cannot understand) it doesn't allow for more than 2 tracks, which is something I need.

Thx a lot in advance :eek:

After some research (Sound Studio, Audacity) I've come across Cacophony v1.3 which at first glance seems to work with multiple channels. The interface leaves something to be desired though. Any suggestions besides these above?
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man sounds like you are looking at lower-end stuff or shareware (of course we all like to spend as little as we can) have a look at the "lite" versions of some of the commercial SparkLE by TC Works or Peak LE by Bias-inc.. I believe PeakLE also comes bundled with the Toast/Jam package from Roxio so if you are planning to do any semi-advanced cd mastering and have considered the toast/jam package that may be a good solution....oh yeah!
  3. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
  4. Harald4 macrumors member

Jul 23, 2004
    And the good news is, Audacity 1.2.2 seems to work...
    We all should learn from the people working with graphics for a living who use a number of different programs to shape, convert, adapt, compress, expand... you name it...
    Create a folder named Audio Tools and start searching the web, you'll be surprised, all the good stuff is free, what's definitely needed is your creativity
  5. triage macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2004
    I-20 at I-49
    Have you looked at Traktion by Mackie (yes, the mixer company)? While I don't know anyone who's used it nor have read any reviews of it, the web ad makes it look enticing. And the price is under $100.

See what you think:
  6. boomtopper macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    UK Huddersfield
    The best wave editor on the mac platform is DSP QUATTRO and it is cheap. It is way better than peak.
  7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon