Sound effect repeating quietly through MBP speakers every 20 secs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LittleJoe, Jul 26, 2006.

1. LittleJoe macrumors regular

Ok... this is really frustrating me... and I have no clue whats going on.

every few minutes/secs... this alert sound comes through my macbook pro's internal speaker. The sound is like ummm... you know... the light tap on a metal pipe sound effect, the error sound. But not any of the actual mac error sounds. If anything it sounds like a windows alert sound. Its there even when I mute the MBP. If I go to preferences/sound/alert volume and mute it... its still there also though.

I have no programs open other than finder. Ive tried logging on and off and restarting... and I have no clue whats causing it or what started.

help? :/

EDIT: Sound not on any particular cycle, as it now seems more random. Sounds nothing like any of the Mac alert sound affects, but rather a WINDOWS sound effect. The noise you get when you try to click on or open something you cant. Yah know? The "doink".

EDIT: Ive tried to record it with some audio recording apps... but then it dissappears. Im starting to think my MBP is haunted :(

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i honestly have no idea,

but it could be that Windows PC in the other room your hearing:p :rolleyes:

or you could be imagining it;)

3. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

def not in my head. its coming out the left speaker area. If i turn of the volume on my MBP the noise gets a LITTLE louder. If i turn it down it gets softer... but muting the volume... dosent complete get rid of it. And my windows pc has never had this problem :p

4. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

Great... now its happening more frequently.:mad:

EDIT: and now not so frequent... but more randomly.

baaahhh.

5. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Sounds strange, strange indeed. Take it to your local Apple Store (or call) and let em have a listen.

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

7. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

multiple times... didnt work

8. LittleJoe thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone?

The sound is back with a vengance. Im starting to think it only happens at night... like post midnight... thats the only time i hear it. I changed the clock... but that had no affect.

9. albemuth macrumors newbie

This is happening for me too, started happening (I believe) after installing the magic mouse software update. I'm on an early 2009 MBP with 10.5. This is pretty annoying :mad:

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Is it your hard drive parking the drive heads?

Set your energy preferences to never put hard drive to sleep. Report back if that eliminates the sound.