Sound for US$60?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xsedrinam, Feb 11, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Long story, short: I'm two days Stateside en route from Ecuador to Costa Rica to do both ppt and keynote presentations and am needing to pick up in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area (Best Buy, CompUSA?) a portable sound system for audio to accomodate a classroom (40+/- students). I'm not looking for Bose quality or anything pricey, just solid function to amplify sound from video projector. Anyone who can recommend a Make/Model and reputable place for a quick buy? Equipment: AlPB 15" SuperDrive, Panasonic Projector 1200 lumens.
    Thanks
    X

2. AnewMac macrumors regular

Never tried em

Not sure how great they sound, but they beat notebook speakers.

Best Buy Speakers

Good Luck in your search and presentation

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thanks. I'd visited the site and had checked those out. What snuck up on me in there was the Bose Companion @$99. I'm wondering how they'd sound too?
    X

4. neut macrumors 68000

neut

sure your not. ;)

just get the Bose ... they do one thing good; fill a room with that classic Bose midrange-high sound. great for presentations. Bass is usless in a med-large room unless you have a couple hundered/thousand watts.

peace.

5. AnewMac macrumors regular

Well I would of given you the Bose link, but I thought we had a budget.. ;)

6. unfaded macrumors 6502

No one here is an audiophile, because Bose is actually a terrible, terrible company. Many of their 'high-end' systems use paper cones and are unable to produce a good portion of the sound spectrum. (rather lazy, don't feel like getting the link).

Avoid Bose unless you feel like paying for something that lacks real quality and is overpriced beyond words.

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

blah, blah, blah ... most audiophiles lie about what they can hear. some really can hear the details though. your average person has enough ear wax and distorted sense of sound that most systems will sound moderately worse than they actually perform.

i don't know why people pick on Bose. same argument since they began ... 'they use paper cones; they are crap!'; they're not all that expensive anyways. i mean they have a freakin' info-mercial so you can't be all that serious when you speak the word Bose. :p

for the average person ... Bose is overkill.

if we were all rich and had clean ear canals i would be running tube amps and specialized equipment and speakers that warmly distorts the sound so my audiophile ears can bath in a spectrum of unreal sound.

i like sound too, but audiophile are dorks. it's like people who chase the perfect color profile in digital imaging; it's all subjective. no one will ever hear or see two things the same.

peace.

8. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I'm on my second set of altec lansing speakers from best buy and love them. :)

allison.

9. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, I use Q-tips, (against main stream medical advice) so my ears are fair, so to speak, to hear pretty well; but I am seriously trying to come in under a $100...$60 was a wish for a pragmatic purchase to adequately cover multi media presentations for a smaller room. That's the context. But this is the kind of dialogue and banter that helps, so thanks for the input. What kind of price was on the Altec system? Two speakers?
    X

10. AnewMac macrumors regular

Apologies about the other guys. Usually it isn't so rough around here.
    Here are some Logitechs I found, the only thing is they have a sub.
    Logitechs

11. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That's a good price though I've not been too keen on LogicTech. I checked out several sites on the Kardon Soundsticks II and the best price I could find was at US$109 which seems good but still over what I'm looking for.
    X