Sound like a Duff Battery?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bakey, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I've had my iBook G4 800 for a little over two years and all has been sound and dandy.

Over the last week or so I've noticed a rapid decline in battery life; it now averages around 30 to 40 minutes at best, and this is with "Better Battery Life" selected as default. Once the battery charge meter reader hits 26% it very quickly warns me that I'm running on reserve and it's gone!!

Does this sound like knackered cells and typical of a two year old battery? Or... are there any emerging issues with 10.4.4 and false battery readings??

Ta very much -- any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you calibrated the battery recently? Calibrating the battery means completely discharging it until it falls asleep and then completely charging it up again. :)

3. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Mad Jew, within a minute or two of it hitting the "reserve power warning" it goes to sleep! So I'm kind of assuming it has already been calibrated as a result!?

If not, what would you recommend as a means of ensuring calibration has taken place before a complete re-charge?

Many thanks in advance... ;)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, to calibrate it you have to charge it until the little adaptor light goes green afterwards too, it's not just a matter of discharging it. I guess the next step is to reset the PMU. :)

5. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, bit of an update... I've reset the PMU, ran the iBook 'til it shut itself down and proceeded with a full re-charge [two or three times] -- and although the battery meter is now recommending some 74 minutes of remaining juice it still shuts down very rapidly when the meter hits around 30%.

But, having said this is does seem a little better!!

The iBook and battery are a little over 2 years old; I'm kinda guessing this is good old wear and tear!!

Thanks again... ;)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How terribly strange. I would have thought the PMU reset would either fix it or not, but I wouldn't have thought it'd half help. Maybe reset your PRAM, if only to pass the time. Actually, it might help. :p

Is there any way you could test this thing with a different iBook? Could you swap batteries with a friend or someone? It might help determine if it's a battery or computer problem (my guess is battery).

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Test it?

This is standard issue dead battery. This is how Li-Ion batteries work, whether you use it a lot or not. Calibrating it after every 20 times you use it on battery power would help, and charing it even when you have 41% battery life (just an example value) remaining is also good for the battery. You don't have to drain it down to 0% before recharging it. That's old skool stuff and current NiMH batteries. Li-Ions found in mobile phones, laptops, and digital cameras don't have this issue.

So...

Oh yeah!!

8. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for the advice chaps - I guess I'm going to have to resign to the fact that it's a "duffer"!

It's still doing the weird countdown to 29%/30% then dropping into sleep mode -- just as an after thought are batteries covered under AppleCare? [I know this thread is a little old and should be retired so I'll have a good look around with regards to this last question!]

Many thanks once again... ;)