sound missing! help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kitt321, Jan 13, 2007.

1. kitt321 macrumors newbie

i have'nt had any problems with my mac mini until a few hours ago when the songs playing started to echo and go weird. so i closed itunes and opened it again, same problem, so i reboot and now there is no sound at all, and when i check the sound preferences it says there is no device to emit sound, (not even the little internal speaker) and i cant find any drivers for sound!, the apple hardware test hasnt noted any problems though, so i was wondering if anyone here can help me fix it, or will i be forced to reinstal os x. thanks :)

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Have you tried reparing permissions, etc.? The guide is here :)

3. kitt321 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i just tryed it and no luck... thanks though :)

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I can't think of any other solution to your problem other than re-installing OS X. I think if you do an archive + install it should keep all your preferences and files in tact, but it's always good to do a backup anyway :)

5. kitt321 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but one thing, how do you do an archive + install haha sorry you can tell i'm kind of new to macs haha

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

put install disk 1 in, restart and hold down C, and when you go though the instalation stages, look out for Customise or Option buttons on the bottom of the main window. Mac OS X is easy :)

7. kitt321 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i reinstallled os x and... same problem.... so i rang apple and they told me to take it to one of their stores. and now i find out that something inside of it (they wouldnt tell me what) has basically fried, and it needs to be fixed. so im stuck on an imac g3 with a disc drive with a mind of its own for a week until they ship a repaired mini out... oh well could be worse... i could be on windows