sound prefrences gone bonkers? balance is whack...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Nov 24, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

for some reason whenever i go to play a song in iTunes it starts playing, but the left/right speaker balance is usually a bit more to the left, then i have to go to sound prefs and put the balance back to the middle. this doesn't happen all the time, but it really annoys me when it does.

has this happened to anyone else? does anyone know what could be causing this? other apps or something?

help!:eek: :confused: :eek:

2. superkatalog macrumors regular

the same on my mac

i have the same problem on my ti with jaguar. i have no idea how to fix it.

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

do you have many third party apps installed? i'm thinking that some other apps might be the cause.

i might try looking this up on Apple's KnowledgeBase.

4. veedubdrew macrumors regular

This has been making me absolutely crazy! My balance and my iSub settings seem to go wherever they want. I'm new to the Mac (well, had one ten years ago, but y'know) and I have no third-party apps installed. iMac 17" 768MB RAM. If someone figures this out I will be very grateful! I'm also having issues with 10.2.2 and my HP printer, but that's another thread I'm sure...

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i had a look at the Apple knowledge base and they didn't have anything about the sound balance, but i did see a bit about the iSub. you should look it up, should find an answer for your problem there.

and come on?! no one else knows what causes this, or a fix?:confused:

6. iGod macrumors member

I also have this problem with my new (9/2002) TiBook! At first I thought it was my hearing! And then I thought it could be the headphones - but no, it was the balance! Once I reset it, the problem went away...somewhat. Except for the fact that it does RANDOMLY seem to edge over to the right or left side now and again. I don't have any third party thingymajigs installed, so I can't imagine what is causing this.:confused:

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

this has happened to me once on my iBook. I had to fix it then, and it hasnt happened since. I think it may have to do with the laptops not liking it when you change its output speakers over and over.

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

It happened a couple times on my iBook, with the balance all the way to the right. I reset it, and it hasn't happened since then. I nearly threw away a pair of headphones over it.

9. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

how did you 'reset' it? do you mean just putting the balance back to centre? i've tried that heaps and it still happens to me.

10. Phazer80s macrumors regular

Per usual, it's good to see others are having problems— er, well, you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

I've noticed the left channel is weaker under Jaguar than in OS 9 on my Digtal Audio G4 733. Moving the L speaker forward and aiming the R away from center made for a half-decent kludge of a solution. I spend almost all of my time with Jag, so I figured it was a HW prob. either with the computer or with the speakers. Booting into OS 9 was a shock. The HW IS fine after all; somehow it's Jaguar (10.2.2 ?) that can't seem to balance the sound. Wierd.

Let's hope Apple fixes this with a pre-10.3 update.

And DAMN— OS 9's speed was a slap in the face after spending so much time mucking through Jag.:( I love the OS, but the laggy response of the UI is painful. But that's another thread…

11. Phazer80s macrumors regular

Oops!

Just checked the Sound pref pane. My balance was set 30% to the R. How did that happen? I totally forgot there's a balance option there. :rolleyes:

But the statement about OS X's constant little delays STANDS.:mad:

12. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

seeing that there are so many others having problems i guess that it must be a problem with 10.2.2

at least if that's all it is then we know there will be an update and fix sometime in the future.:rolleyes: