Sound quality from imac G5 internal CD burner

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rantipole, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

I just burned my first couple music CDs on my iMac G5. I used mostly AAC 128 and MP3 192 sound files. The resulting sound quality was a little flat, compared to what I was used to before.

I checked the preference in iTunes, and saw that the preferred speed for burning was set for "maximum possible". If I set it to a slower speed like 4x, do you think that will improve the sound quality?

2. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

No, you're talking digital data. The burner doesn't affect quality at all, including the burning speed. The encoding and decoding software does, especially at such low bitrates as you're using

3. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Digital: that's what I would have thought. What was happening didn't make sense. But I thought perhaps if the burning process was going "too fast", there might be a few bits left behind.

Bitrates: I've burned 192 MP3s before, and did not think it sounded this bad.

But... *embarassed* ... I'm wondering if it has been a while since I've listened to a burned CD on my home stereo. I usually burn these to play in a boom box or for party mixes to be played on other people's (lesser) stereos. Maybe my home stereo is better than I thought. :rolleyes: Sorry to bother everyone with this before testing it out a bit more.

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

the only thing slower burning speed will ensure is compatibility with some older players .. but the sound will be the same ..

I myself never burn a CD over 16x .. the little gain in speed is just not worth it ..