Sound quality of Nano Vs iPod video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Reginald Perrin, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anybody know if the latest version of the Nano and 80gb are equivalent in terms of sound quality? If not, which is better?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

Zedsdead185

I don't know the techs. But from what I've heard from them both they seem exactly the same in quality and volume.

It's amazing how something as small as the nano can pump up to such high volumes

3. macrumors G4

Chundles

They sound pretty much the same to my ears, my 30GB 5.5G iPod and my Dad's 2GB 2G iPod nano sounded basically the same when I compared them.

4. macrumors 6502

It's going to depend on how you format the songs. The 80 GB would sound better of all of your songs were encoded in Apple Lossless, the nano couldn't hold as many songs if you encoded in lossless but the sound quality would be awesome. but if they are both encoded in AAC 128 kbps, they will sound exactly the same.

5. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I think it was iLounge who looked at this, but basically the nano trumps the video in terms of sound quality, but it's upto strong debate if anyone could detect this - basically if you're listening at an audiophile level then don't use compressed or converted formats on a consumer MP3 player.

AppleMatt

6. macrumors 6502a

I don't know about about the 5.5 video models, but my mom's new nano sounds much better than the 5.0 (my 60gb) video.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I think I will go for an 8gb Nano

8. macrumors member

Nice choice!