Sound recording on laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gidman, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Gidman macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    Can you record sound on a powerbook as you can on an ipod, or do I need to use the Ipod and then synch? Is there software that allows for this?

gi

2. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

it all depends on what you're trying to record.
    there should be an internal mic on your powerbook if it's a G4 i believe. that's how you can record you're voice, but if you want to record anything line-in, you'd need the Griffin iMic
    it connects with usb and has a line in and a line out.

3. brhmac macrumors regular

You need to get Wire Tap

Here's the link...

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/freebies/

Here's what it does...

WireTap is a free product for MacOS X 10.2 or later that allows you to record any audio playing on your Mac, saving it to a file for later listening or processing. This allows you to record news from Internet radio stations such as the BBC News, sound snippets from your favorite DVD movie, record the audio from a game, or even iChatAV conversations.

WireTap works using a simple tape recorder-like interface. Simply click the record button, and any audio playing through your Mac will be recorded to disk. WireTap can record any sound that is playing regardless of the source, so RealPlayer, iTunes, DVD Player, Windows Media Player, etc. are all supported.

4. Gidman thread starter macrumors member

more recording advice

What applications can you record into. I am trying to record some lectures in grad school. any suggestions? I always have my laptop, but don't really bring my ipod to schol with me.

Gid

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Re: more recording advice

You know...an iPod can easily fit into your back pocket...with the Belkin adapter, would probably pick up sound easier too. That way you could still use your laptop to type notes (or, as I do, surf the internet) without bothering with any recording software.

PS....Why don't you bring your iPod to school and listen to it as you walk from class to class?

6. Gidman thread starter macrumors member

Recording

To be honest,

I am studying at a seminary and so more often than not i go immediately from Class to chapel. But, I guess I could bring it to class to recor. I just don't really understand why the laptop would be more limited than the ipod?

(especially since it costs so much more.)

Gid

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Not limited...

It's not that the laptop CAN'T do it, just that it's easier having an external device. The microphone on a laptop is pointed toward the user, so unless you turn your computer around, you might have some trouble getting clear sound. Also, you can just press record on the iPod, set it down, and forget about it. Might not want to do that with your laptop...

8. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

not an option

I have an ipod mini and cannot use it to record lectures. Is there anyway that I can set up an external microphone to get better capture with my powerbook???? Will the imic be of any use to me (I'm not using it to record music or anything, just lectures). What kind of mic is best if I am able to use an external one... some how.

9. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

10. wwidgirl macrumors member

wwidgirl

I don't think this is what I'm looking for. I have microsoft office to record audio from my built in mic on my powerbook; what I need is an external mic so that I can capture audio better (for lectures). Is there a mic in the "imic"?

11. kanker macrumors 6502

I'd use Audacity. Free, and you can edit down the lectures easily.

12. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

um, no need to download an external program, just use sound studio. its in your applications folder. it can run in the background while you type notes, etc.
    i used it for awhile until i got an italk. the italk works better, but sound studio works fine too.