Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've had my G4 "Digital Audio" for a month now, and I was going to spend part of a bonus I just got (woohoo!) on a sound system for it. Question: what speaker systems can I buy other than the Apple Pro Speakers? I'm not an audiophile, so I'm somewhat at a loss at what to do with the "Pro" speaker plug. My iMac's sound system had a regular old stereo mini plug, which will only fit in the headphone jack of the G4. Any suggestions?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Lord Blackadder said:
I've had my G4 "Digital Audio" for a month now, and I was going to spend part of a bonus I just got (woohoo!) on a sound system for it. Question: what speaker systems can I buy other than the Apple Pro Speakers? I'm not an audiophile, so I'm somewhat at a loss at what to do with the "Pro" speaker plug. My iMac's sound system had a regular old stereo mini plug, which will only fit in the headphone jack of the G4. Any suggestions?

Get an iMic, then you can enjoy every audio system that supports mini-jacks.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
i may be wrong but....

dont all Digital Audio and Quicksilver machines have an analog stereo output plug as well as the Apple Pro speaker plug?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hmmmm....

Is the Pro Speaker jack proprietary? As in I won't be able to go to Best Buy and get something that will work? Or is it found only in higher-end equiptment?

I'd hate to think that the iMic is the only way to go, as it's $40 and eats up my only free USB port.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
You need to look at the back of the machine

I just downloaded the specs of the DA, it does have a stereo minijack (called a headphone jack), which is what you would use to send a signal to ANY powered system, home stereo, mini speakers, head phones.. anything (may need a mini to RCA) if you want to pipe it to a home stereo.

The Apple Pro Speaker Digital Jack is proprietary, and you will not be using.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/specs/desktops/L12505D_EN.pdf

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The stereo mini-jack is OK.

Audiophiles would blanch but if you're playing AACs/MP3s then it's not that important.

Hook it up to a hifi made from separates -- it will sound great... if the files are not too compressed, that is.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
agreed

yes, just to clarify this will output a stereo analog signal, no different than any other standard mini jack output found on Sawtooth machines, iBooks, PowerBooks, Quicksilver's an MDD PowerMac(s), eMacs and iMacs. If you want a digital signal that is a completely new ball game and is most likely un-necessary for what you are doing.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Thanks, that's all I wanted to know. Right now my Altec Lansings with sub are connected to the headphone jack; They have gotten quieter over the years, but that's because they're cheap and old. I'll just get something that's cheap and new. :D

Do any of you guys use an amp, or are you satified driving speakers (like bookshelf speakers) without one?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Lord Blackadder said:
Do any of you guys use an amp, or are you satified driving speakers (like bookshelf speakers) without one?

I have a Denon amplifier and some Gales on stands with nice cables (want some Kefs, like my Dad used to have).

I used to have one of the 'famous' Pioneer A400s which was FIERCE!
But that got stolen & is another story :(

I also listen a lot on Sennheiser headphones when it's late & I'm working.

I learnt a little about hifi from an ex-boyfriend and he always said it's worth spending a bit to enjoy your music, especially if you've got lots of tunes :)

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
It sounds like you are just looking for a high end basic computer speaker set, and I'd highly recommend the Logitech Z-2200. They are MSRP $149.99, but right now on Logitech's site (till dec 31) is a $50 rebate. That's only $100. Plus you can find deals. I got mine for about $70 with shipping, after rebate. Buy.com is a reputable store with a good price on them. 200 watts baby!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.