Soundcard in iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lpshean, Jan 15, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

lpshean

Hello again, i have a 12" iBook G4 (2004)... and im currently toying with the idea of getting myself a good either 2.1 or 5.1 Speaker set.

I did a forum search and didnt get an answer as to whether the iBooks can actually reproduce a 2.1 or 5.1 surround sounds that great if i wanna view DVDs. And nothing on the Tech Specs part on the Apple's site too.

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

2.1 only. You only have the 1/8" stereo headphone out. If you get a FireWire/USB external sound card you can get 5.1 support.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Yeah... they were saying that the reproducability of the sound was sorta impaired because of the usage of USB ports... so it all gets kindda confusing.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found most USB audio devices to work just fine on Macs and on Windows.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

What brand of soundcard did you buy?

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've used Creative on the Windows side. It had optical output and it works just fine. On the Apple side I've used the iMic from Griffin.

7. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Griffin Is releasing a firewire 5.1 channel external sound card called the Firewave but their product page says that its gonna be released in Q4 2005 and they are still taking preorders, so I guess they are behind schedule.

8. Moderator emeritus

I've had an M-Audio sonica for a while and it's fine working from the USB port and provides 5.1 digital audio through an optical port and analog through a stereo mini jack.

The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't offer a coaxial S/PDIF connection while some of the more expensive devices they make have them and of course, my speaker setup does, too.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

lpshean

Damn, are they expensive! Heheh... 100bucks. Well... looks like there aint nuthing for a college kid. :rolleyes: