sounds of woe

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kungfu, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kungfu macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2002
    my roommate tells me that she woke up this morning to my iMac g5 (isight)'s fans going airplane status, and a kernel panic on screen... so she forced it off. when I booted it back up, no sound - nothing at all. when I try changing the volume, I just get the regular sound overlay with a circle and slash through it (see attachment). in the 'sound' pref. panel, it just says there are no options for this output device. nothing plugged into the sound out jack works. reset the pram/pmu, still no luck. I don't know what else there is to try (?) applecare I guess.

any ideas much appreciated.

edit: I should also note, I tried booting off a clean install of os x, and I get the exact same error.
    and one other thing: I still get the power-up chime in full stereo! (wtf?)

Attached Files:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Quick test. Open GarageBand and close it again.
    Still have the problem?
  3. kungfu thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2002
    yep... unfortunately. thanks though.
  4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2005
    Laguna Beach
    that's really weird because its obviously software related and the fresh intall should have fixed it, google what that icon means, that would be the next step.
  5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    A long shot, but try physically unplugging the computer and then plugging it back it. If you just use the power button, it's actually still "on" in some respects. The unplug thing has been known to occasionally fix weird problems.

6. kungfu thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2002
    yeah... in order to reset the smu (or pmu), I had to unplug the thing for 10 seconds anyway - no luck. I think it's applecare time.