Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirdspace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this problem. I thought it was only with my itunes, but last night watching a dvd, the same thing happened. I saw a previous post with the same issue, but I couldn't get a response, so I thought I would start a new thread.

What happens is the general sound from my powerbook starts to skip and get progressively louder for 5-6 seconds (almost like it is dubbed out) and then goes back to normal. It happens while I'm listening to itunes, and last night, it did it to the sound from the dvd.

I went to the genius bar at the apple store about it, and they had never heard of it (and it wasn't really the kind of thing they could sit and wait for, cause it happens randomly).

If anyone has heard of this, or has any solutions, I would be more than grateful. It tends to ruin the flow at the most inopportune moments!

thanks.

thirdspace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
thanks khisayruou.. i suppose the thread on the actual apple site would be our best chance for finding a solution..

now we pray.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
you know, i've been having this same issue. First noticed it in iTunes.. the only way i can describe it is the track was looping back on itself. (hahah it JUST happened!) It's a skip, and the skip plays ontop of another skip, and then another, and the layers add up and the volume continues to increase.
I thought it was an itunes issue, and then it happend with some system sound... an iChat noise or something like that.

what a bummer... hope we get some firmware updates soon.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm... How many of you have tried deleting com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist or quitting the coreaudioid process in Activity Monitor? It seems others in the Apple Support forums are getting mixed results. :)

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
mad jew said:
Hmm... How many of you have tried deleting com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist or quitting the coreaudioid process in Activity Monitor?

It doesn't do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.