soundstick sub problem....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by serger, Jun 26, 2004.

1. serger macrumors newbie

does anyone know how to fix the soundstick sub when it starts to rattle... sounds like there is something vibrating on the speaker itself.

i'm 100% sure it's in the sub. not sure if I should take it apart. anyone know how to fix this?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Could you have dropped something into it? That would make it rattle. Rattle could also be the speaker coming loose from it's mount or actual damage to the speaker. How bad a rattle is it?

3. serger thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw an ant in it yesterday. but when shaken or tilted the sound doesn't stop. one interesting thing-- when I turn it a certain way sideways it occassionally makes a much louder vibrating buzz.

I know nothing about speakers. Looks like something that I could take apart though... question is, what are the chances of being able to fix it.

--btw, the vibration is a 'buzz' every time bass thumps.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I just took a quick look at mine. It appears that the speaker just screws to the bottom of the sub and there's a grill over it. The screws that hold it on are visible. Try to tighten them down (gently) and see if the buzz goes away. If it doesn't remove the screws, remove the speaker (be careful of any wires that come are attached to it-don't stress them and note their color/position), and inspect it. Blow some compressed air (gently) around it to see if you can dislodge anything. Try using it outside of the sub enclosure if the wires are long enough. Turn it all the way up and see if it does it and if you can determine where on the speaker it's coming from. If it only does it when mounted in the sub, try to narrow down where it's coming from and see if you can use some foam/cardboard/tape/etc to insulate it in that area.

Hope that helps.

5. serger thread starter macrumors newbie

taking it apart now... what to do if the speaker itself is crap?

6. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

make sure all the rubber feet things are attached. Mine fell off and started vibrating on the wood.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Replace it. It should be a standard size and easy to find a replacement for. But rule everything else out first.