Souped Up RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MrCommunistGen, Mar 24, 2004.

1. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Two questions that are related.

Situation: A friend of mine has a PC that takes PC2100. He's planning on getting some crazy-expensive PC3200 (I think its Corsair...) with heat sinks, lights, and higher than required specs. Over the summer, he's thinking of either getting a Dual G5 or Building a PC. Either way, the new computer will NEED PC3200

1.Does Souped-up RAM do anything for your computer (for Macs or PCs) that the added cost will justify?
    2.Can you use PC3200 in a computer that takes PC2100 (I know PC 2700 is backwards compatible) If yes, isn't the CAS lattency greater on PC3200 than 2100?

Thanks!

-MCG

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

It depends on your hardware. I don't know about Macs but usually PC's can take some advantage. And yes it is backwards compatible.

I also believe you're right on the CAS latency but again, that doesn't really make a difference.

Crucial has some memory FAQs that might be helpful also.

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

It will work in the PC, but you wont get any speed boost because you're motherboard only will take RAM up to and including PC2100.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

1) Not w/ Mac due to the restricted specifications in the BIOS. Yes and No on the PC (see #2).

2) This really depends on what kinda PC you have, retail Dell or DIY. If you have DIY system, there's a chance you can download a new BIOS update from the mobo manufacturer, and flash your mobo so it supports faster memory. Most if not all mobos you buy for DIY system have options in the BIOS that lets you adjust the memory, voltage, CAS, RAS, and cycle time. CAS on PC3200 RAM depends on what brand and model you purchase. Ones made for overclockers have very low latency time like 2-2-2-5.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just note that the G5s are very picky about their RAM, and unless your friend is getting a current-generation G5, there's no way to tell what the new ones will require.