Source to Stephanopoulos: President Bush Directly Involved In Leak Scandal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 2, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

anybody watch This Week today? can you confirm this?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Maybe that's why he changed his vow to getting rid of the culprit only if they were shown to have committed a crime. He wasn't afraid he'd lose Rove, he was afraid HE'D have to go!
    ;)

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Unfortunately, only way he or Cheney goes is through articles of impeachment passed by the most partisan Congress in memory. If Stepanopoulos is correct and Fitzgerald feels he has enough to charge Bush or Cheney he would have to submit recommendations to the House, who -for the present - would throw them in the trash unread. Now, what that could mean for the 2006 elections would be fascinating.

More likely is the old "unindicted co-conspirator" tack taken in the Nixon days. If Fitzgerald does indict Rove and Libby, while naming Bush and/or Cheney as co-conspirators, he has the chance to lay out the crime in a non-political forum. Any convictions would place enormous pressure on Congress to act, especially if Congress changes its composition next year. We could be in for a very bumpy ride for a few years.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know, I know. The part about Bush stepping down was a joke. We all know he'd fight the charges. But some more indictments would do little to help the GOP's chances come Nov. '06.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, mac, I wasn't trying to lecture. I know you know. Just throwing my thoughts in about what could be explosive news and what it would mean.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't understand, which "discussions" was Stephanopoulos referring to?

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Does anybody seriously think that this Congress would impeach Bush? Color me cynical, but I think if Bush himself said he was involved, they'd look the other way and let Rove spin him out of it.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i cannot imagine that, if bush admitted culpability, that even this congress would let him off the hook easily. but then, bush would never do that, and any amount of denial would be good enough for a good half of the congress.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You have more faith than I do.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

and i don't have much!