South Africa gets it, and we don't.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 15, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Interestingly, the article I read about it makes it sound like this is more a constitutional issue than a popular issue (equal rights enshrined in the constitution), which makes sense and is at it should be: minority rights should be protected as a constitutional matter and not subject to popular opinon.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Exactly. This is not a matter of popular opinion at all. It's a matter of equality.

e

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm, what do you think we homos have been saying for the past god-knows-how-many years? ;)

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe it's time for South Africa to organize a boycott against the U.S.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A lot of straight folks have been saying the same thing, you know.

7. Queso macrumors G4

LMAO. Like South Africa can organise anything. Have you ever tried getting something done in that country? :D :D

Still, this is good to see. State and religion are two completely different things. It should be that if you disagree with gay unions on religious grounds, tough sh*t. Suck it up, as it were :p

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course. I was simply reacting to what I'm assuming was milo's surprise at this "new" idea.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Can't say that I have. I was just pausing to recall the 1980s and to appreciate the irony.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the irony within south africa or the irony when one compares its rate of change to that of the US?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Both I suppose. During the '80s the debate was over whether the U.S. should sanction South Africa for a maintaining of system of institutionalized bigotry. The finger wags back now, doesn't it?

12. Queso macrumors G4

It's quite shameful just how far the USA is falling behind the pace of change compared to other states now, gay rights being just one example. I know South Africa took advantage of the chance to wipe the slate clean and start again on a legal front, but when even Catholic countries such as Spain can quite happily sanction gay unions, it's a bit embarrassing for the US to be actively pulling in the opposite direction.

How does it feel, being in the same club as such luminary social frontrunners as Zimbabwe and Jamaica?

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I agree with you. I also think if the gay community dropped the word marriage and used civil union or something similar, it might be less inflamatory to the Closeted Homos™ who oppose it.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

No no, I haven't been living under a rock. :)

I'm well aware it's not a new idea. I'm just agreeing with the formulation. I think it's interesting that they have managed to keep it a legal issue rather than a political issue. I wish we could do the same here. I think sometimes it's just more expedient to put bigots in their place rather than waiting until they come around (especially as many of them never will).

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It is both a legal and a political issue. In South Africa the leading political party is one which has at its core a long history of fighting for the equality of all people. It is just unfortunate that it took this long in South Africa for the ANC to live up to its legacy in regards to gay people. It is even more unfortunate that there aren't more political parties in the world with histories like the ANC. But then, with my avatar, I don't think I've hid my admiration for the African National Congress or many of its leaders.

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if you love south africa so much, why don't you move there (and marry it)????

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Good one. :D

You know, honestly, most people don't care. Only about a third of the people care enough (or are able to) vote. And only about 2/3 of those people vote against gay marriage. And some of them would be fine with civil unions. I'm thinking a lot of straight people would even get civil unions, if nothing else than to prove a point. Toss in some lesbians, and your moral majority somehow becomes a minority. Good way to weed out the closet types too, ask them if they don't like lesbians, even if they're hot. What straight guy doesn't like that? :p

I'm just waiting for someone to claim religious persecution for not being able to get gay married. You know, some religions are ok with homosexuals. And what with the backlash against religious zealotry and neoconservatism, pretty soon gay marriage will be an every day occurrence that most people won't even notice.

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thank you jello. Now, get that tongue out of your cheek. And no bad puns, please.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

after all, that's your job

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I agree.

The gay rights groups are missing the boat here.

"But we have to be married, have to be married."

It ain't nothing but a tax write off and power of attorney agreement. I could care less what they call it as long as I can be afforded the same priveleges.

Until the gay rights groups get off their marriage high-horse, people will vote to keep marriage man and woman.

Quit whining and push for civil unions.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

da, comrade