South Africa to legalize Gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In case you missed it; from the New York Times. It's about time; the ANC has long officially supported an anti-discrimination policy around sexual orientation. To bad it took a court decision to get this done.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- now I feel like I really live in backward country. South Africa? Jesus.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

...and south africa makes five.

shall we take bets on what that number grows to before the US adopts same-sex marriages?

i say 37.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I say after I'm dead at the rate we're going. :)

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I couldn't guess what number we'll be but I'll bet that it happens in the next ten years. Actually, I'd be hard pressed to come up with 31 countries that would be likely to do so before the USA.

6. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No cynicism on a day to celebrate. Here is the Human Rights Campaign's press release on the South African action. Take note of the sentence about South Africa's Constitution and don't be too surprised by South Africa's stance.

emphasis added

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's a great thing, don't get me wrong. But I don't live in South Africa. :( But yes, let's hope it's a nice kick in the teeth to King George.

8. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Let's hope by the time of the next US Presidential election that number is more than doubled. It's going to take movement both internationally and on a state by state basis (US states) to make a difference here. btw, where are the Scandinavian nations on this question? Anyone know of moves to legalize Gay marriage in any of these countries?

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Good for South Africa. I'm not gay, and I don't really approve of it for personal reasons, but it is their choice and gay people are people too.

Oh, and the Unites States won't allow gay marriages until they separate church and state, and after listening to the 60 Minutes podcast from last week it looks like that will be a long long time away. Disallowing the morning after pill to be over the counter, and simply not stocking it and/ or refusing to fill it's prescription in many pharmacies is shocking to me, but that's for another thread.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Here's a map courtesy of wikipedia showing the current status of European countries status of gay marriage and civil unions.

Attached Files:

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wow! I would have never expected this to happen so quickly.

12. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Slightly off topic,I saw a story on the local news last night about straight men in the UK having civil partnerships it confers quite good financial benifits,the Gov. says says its OK because m/f people have been doing it for years,you gotta love human ingenuity.As an aside South Africa has Gov. members who are Communists(including ministers I believe) they hold dual membership of the ANC and SACP and SACP were prominant in the fight for freedom and setting up the constitution.

14. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

All true. It was my experience that some of the most amazing South Africans I met in the struggle against apartheid came from the SACP. People in the US may not understand the history of the SACP or its links with the ANC because of knee-jerk anti-communism, but this a very positive relationship without attempts to control on either side. I can't say if the SACP had anything to do with the inclusion of the anti-discrimination language in the Constitution, but if they did, more power to them.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

700 Club's forecast for South Africa: light accumulation of fire and brimstone, 40% chance of plague, with increasing likelihood of the wrath of God falling after midnight.

16. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Isn't it amazing how it always seems the wrath of God falls after midnight? That's when I usually get into trouble. ;)

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wish more people who disagreed with us had your point of view. We just want to be left to live our lives as we see fit- like anyone else.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

LMAO

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ah ha, but what about those whose idea of living life "as they see fit" consists of oppressing entire subgroups of humanity and imposing their will on everyone?

Your intolerance of the intolerant is noted. Filthy hypocrite.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Does that explain the exodus from the Political Forum? :eek:

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! Thanks- that was good. :)