South African anti-rape condom latches on to attackers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Sep 14, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rinky dink link

Pinky dink link

I think the use of such a device could potentially lead to even more serious repercussions for the victim.

Thoughts?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think its value is based on its existence only. Maybe knowing it is out there will make a potential rapist think twice (or once with the big head) before attacking someone. However, its actual usage might enrage someone to whom it becomes, erm, affixed, to the point of deadly violence.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

As opposed to being sodomized repeatedly? Rape is violent and there is always the possibility of murder.

I think women should choose for themselves if they wish to wear it or not. As long as they know the potential risks that wearing it may pose, then I think it's better than nothing.

Any rapist would think twice before committing the rape if he does not know if the device is installed. I think it's a strong enough deterrent to prevent rapings.

I'm all for it.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ouch! Completely deserved, but OH, the PAIN!

I'm not sure the rapist would be in much of a position to take out his anger on the victim.

OTOH, I think there is also the possibility of... ahem... using alternate probes to retrieve the anti-rape device first, then proceeding with the rape as planned.

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

But would it dramtically increase the chances of murder?

I doubt it'll be long before tapped in the head girlfriends start using them though. :eek:

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There's also the possibility of an absent-minded girlfriend forgetting to take it out... :eek:

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This sounds quite a bit like the dentata from Snow Crash... a syringe, implanted vaginally, which injects any potential rapist with poison or an anaesthetic, right into his johnson (ouch!).

8. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I believe it is a great idea...Rapists should go to hell. Rapists are low life and scum of this world. I find it so disgusting how they can just do that to women. I grew up in Swaziland/South Africa, the amount of times you hear of people being raped is soo high i knew a few people close to me that were raped. i even knew someone that was raped and got HIV through that, she passed away recently. With a device like this, rapists will definitely think twice. I say give it a try and we will see...

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Can I just have a badge to say I'm wearing one?

Unless you live in the dodgiest area out, that is not going to be the answer to avoiding rape. I can't imagine putting one of those in, just in case, each day... it would be soul-destroying since you'd have to believe you were at risk. If you're living your life with that much fear of rape, then you're living in the wrong place. Not to mention, as said above, the risks when the rapist realises what's happened.

Also bear in mind that most rapes are carried out by acquaintances of the victim, not strangers.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

That will make anyone think twice. For sure... :eek:

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I agree. Those African women should redeem their Air Miles and settle somewhere safer.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

South Africa seems to be one large dodgy area with regards to rape according to the statistics. Rape stats from nationmaster.com suggests that the number of rapes per capita is 6 times higher in South Africa compared to the UK. Considering that the The National Institute for Crime Prevention and Rehabilitation estimates that only one in 20 rapes are reported to police, that number is likely to be a lot higher.

I would guess that many women in South Africa have no choice but to live life in fear of being raped.

I'm also quite surprised that the rape stats for the U.S is higher than South Africa. Even though one can assume that a higher percentage is reported in the U.S, it is still sickeningly high for a developed and rich nation. (Edit: Was looking at the wrong graph. It's not higher, but it's still high)

I'm not sure if this Rapex thing will do any good in itself, but at least it manages to draw attention to the terrible situation.

13. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May be I missed something but if my "appendage" gets stuck with something it would likely start to bleed and we all know what happens with mixed fluids and disease. Not to mention just going through that act alone but may be I did miss something.

14. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

With what cash? They can barely buy food/electricity let alone a plane ticket/ other home. It would be a nice idea, to just ship them off somewhere else.

15. Dros macrumors 6502

Good point. I'm sure Lacero didn't think of that. Maybe if they examined their budgets and cut back in some areas, like going out to eat (which adds up!), they could save up.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Lacero was being correctly sarcastic about my statement which wasn't expressed as clearly as I intended. I was talking about my personal feelings about this and the likelihood of this catching on in other places in US/Western Europe; not those women who have no chance of getting out of the townships in South Africa.

I do have grave concerns about how effective this will be there either though since the mental burden of considering this each by inserting it will be great. Not to mention that by the time the rapist commits the deed, the trauma to the woman will already have taken place; she'll just have a little more sense of revenge along with a greater damage of more harm.

Having said that, female condoms which never took off in the US/UK are apparently a surprise hit on the African continent with them being promoted as a sex aid since the ring which holds it in place apparently gives good vibes to a guy.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Man, sarcasm can be hard can't it...?

As for this device as an anti-rape measure in parts of the world where violent rapes from complete strangers are a quite possible hazard, I'm all for it. Those rapists should be rounded up and castrated, and hopefully this device will increase the chances of catching and convicting the rapists.

I'm more scared of what this device may be used for in other parts of the world. Any vindictive women may use this on someone that have hurt their feelings or p*ssed them off, and in most cases even real jerks doesn't deserve that...

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

hellooo...he was pretty obviously sarcastic.

and think on how bad it would be for the restoration business if the entire female population of south africa would stop going to those fancy restaurants every day.

edit: beaten twice on it

19. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Look i know he was being sarcastic... I just dont see it as a topic to be sarcastic over.

What do u mean by that???
    PS: I figure you are being sarcastic, just i dont understand how you can bring that into the context of this thread, it doesnt apply to the topic at all.

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it was in response to Dros' suggestion that south african women could save the cash to move away by cutting going out to eat.
    of course now I think that he was likely being sarcastic too, which makes me an idiot :)

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'd say the very development of such a device shows that we need global efforts to combat violence against women. This is a short-term solution, maybe, but it doesn't address the violence portion of rape (you could still kick the **** out of a woman and make her fellate you, with no fear of this device) or the anti-woman attitudes that it derives from.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sounds like great idea to me. It's good that it doesn't cause any permanent damage. The rapist won't know what women are wearing the device. From the picture, it looks like after once attaching a lot of pain would result. Might be like Pavlov's theory it might prevent further rapes which would be the intention. Pain even with the thought of an attack.

23. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Seems to me if a rapist were aware of this device, he would just look for it before penetrating.

What a terrible thing for a woman to do every 24 hours. Insert this thing in anticipation of being raped. Sounds like a pistol would be a better choice.

I bet this thing nabs more innocent victims then real criminals. My wife is so forgetful, she would likely forget to tell me she had it in until boom, it's latched on. (free boom)

24. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

1) I think the risk of murder might be higher, but even so, killing the woman doesn't remove the device.
    2) I also sort of wonder how one gets it out without getting stuck? Or removes it safely??
    3) The article does not cover is whether it's safe for a woman to wear it day in and day out. if you're putting something up there every day like that, could it lead to infections?

I think it's incredibly terrible that conditions are that bad in South Africa for women. Rapists should have the anti-rape device removed by castration.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

But how do you tell the rapists from the accidents, or as said above, vindictive women? This is a good solution in theory, but there's way too much potential for abuse and STD infection. Nor does it get to the root of the problem. Not that it wouldn't be funny for those who are guilty. :p

As someone who's dated some pretty screwed up women though, this kinda scares me. :eek: