South Dakota Bans Nearly All Abortions...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Mar 6, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

CNN -

Governor Mike Rounds on Monday signed legislation banning almost all abortions in South Dakota. The law will make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the procedure was necessary to save the woman's life -- but there are no exceptions for cases of rape or incest. Planned Parenthood, which operates the state's only abortion clinic, has pledged to challenge the legislation. Rounds said he expects the law will be tied up in court for years and will not take effect unless the Supreme Court upholds it.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- here we go. The inmates are running the asylum. I suspect there will be several legislators out of jobs soon. :)

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and this just in.... Stoning as a punishment for crimes such as homosexuality has been reinstated. If your slaves run away, just stone them! If your women attempt to... vote... stone them! It's easy!

Yay for moving backwards. :rolleyes:

e

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pretty soon, the terrorists won't have to attack us anymore. We won't have any freedoms to defend. We become more like them every passing day.

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This looks like a calculated testing-of-the-waters.

As the linked article states, this law will likely never go into effect, mired in lawsuits and will probably not make it past SCOTUS review.

What it will do is please certain constituencies and revive a bunch of "moralistic" debate coming into the mid-term elections, which will probably serve to detract from other issues.

The real interest will be when SCOTUS does rule, and what they decide. IF their ruling opens up more breadth for States' Rights, that could open up an interesting can of worms - on liberal and conservative issues.

The sky isn't falling yet...

6. vniow macrumors G4

I have a feeling like its more like that as well, that seems to be a tactic of the right-wing nowadays. Like when they tried to introduce a marriage amendment defining it as between one man and one woman, there was no chance of it actually getting passed but it did split things moreso than what they were before.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But it's beginning to crack.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Oh, come on now :rolleyes:

You don't even know "them". On our worst day without freedoms, we wouldn't become "like them".

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can I get that guaranteed in writing, please? ;)

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You know what? I think you're probably right. It's like the Michael Jackson case being on the news 24/7 to distract from the war in Iraq.

e

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Folks, how do you think Roe v. Wade will be overturned? If it is, it will be through a court case from a law just like this. That this won't go into to effect until it is heard by the Supreme Court is immaterial. The whole point is it will be heard by this Supreme Court and given the changes and possible changes in the makeup of that body it is quite likely Roe is going to be gone.

Do we have to wait until we are hit over the head with the reality of abortion being outlawed outright nationally or outlawed in any state with a majority of the legislature beholden to the religious right, to understand this isn't a "testing of the waters" - it is the fight. Let's understand, the right wing in this country thinks it has the votes or will have the votes when this case is decided. If you value the right to choose, we had better wake up and fight for it now.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm with you, man. This isn't some test. They seriously want to do this. And if they succeed with this, there's no telling how much further they'll go on other issues.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree, I think we should fight on every level.

e

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe Roe is nearly history, it's only a matter of time before it either gets overturned outright or chipped away such that it's no longer of any real substance. I don't know at this point how this eventuality can be stopped. The Supreme Court is stacked with ideological conservatives -- at least four certain votes against any abortion rights case that comes along. One more vote out the other five, and that's all she wrote.

Whether they understood it or not, this is what people voted for in the last few elections. Now they're going to get it. The only thing I have to look forward to is the inevitable backlash.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I understand this, and perhaps I am just being naive, but I do not see things unfolding as you suggest.

The public is still very tolerant of abortion rights, and this is a very dangerous issue for the GOP to mess with. It has the initial advantage of galvanizing and important part of the Right's constituency - which could prove invaluable come Election time. It also, however, will galvanize the Left in opposition and more importantly, possibly alienate the Independent vote - which ultimately are the deciding factor in Elections.

That said, you could very well see a gradual chipping away of Abortion Rights which may not make it onto the average voters radar. As for SCOTUS, as long as Stevens remains, I think RvW is safe and depending on time-frames the GOP may have lost (relative) power in Congress or even the WH, making the future more uncertain.

Depressing or not, these are exciting times.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

"Exciting"? What? More like "frightening". Women being forced to bear the child of their rapist or relative? That's the reality of this law, man. This is one scary thing that just happened.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I say "exciting", because this is a BIG issue, and issues like this will mobilize alot of people to engage in Politics for once. It is at times like this where you see a Nation's true character.

I don't say "frightening", because although there are ominous signs - no-one knows how it is going to play out yet - this could prove to be the thing that topples the GOPs house-of-cards - it is certainly possible.

Although the influence of the Right seems more than ever, so does people's dissatisfaction with it...

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Blackfox, I think we (on the left I mean) make the mistake of seeing the radical right as monolithic in its actions. It isn't and there are conservatives who are concerned what this will mean to the GOP nationally. But, the fight among conservatives over whether to press on toward the overturning of Roe already happened, and it took place before our very eyes with the removal of one nominee (Miers) for another (Alito) because the religious right demanded their promised goal be a priority. It doesn't matter to these folks that it may hurt them in the polls because they will have the ability, assuming that abortion isn't outlawed altogether, to restrict it by making it meaningless in many, many states, and then focus on states where they can make an impact.

What we are confronted with now is a court that could well uphold the trappings of Roe, through keeping the exceptions for the health of a mother, and gutting it by allowing states to limit on every other cause. Will Kennedy vote to keep Roe in any meaningful way? Because IJ is right, that is the fight right now. If Stevens goes, as is the rumor, there is only the hope of a turn over in the Senate to prevent Bush from appointing another extreme right justice to go along with Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Roberts. That is the most conservative Supreme Court since before the New Deal and it will be "ruling from the bench" for decades to come.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's a rumor i've not heard. uh-oh.

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The right wing blogs are full of this rumor; they are speculating that he will retire this summer. I hope he can hang on until 2009 but I wouldn't be surprised if he can't.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

uh-oh again.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

lights out

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so w/ this scotus, and the possibility of an even more-right one, what court decisions do we feel are in danger?

i've got:
    - roe v wade
    - clinton v new york

what else?

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, don't put the cart ahead of the horse here...

Nevertheless, the revistitation of the validity of partial-birth abortion bans, (which were narrowly struck down in 2003) by SCOTUS should prove illuminating.

In 2003 O' Connor proved to be the swing-vote.

BTW, Mississippi has a similar law to SD in the Legislature right now...

**As a separate discussion topic, anyone care to guess what might happen if Stevens steps down later this year? A nominee may be up for confirmation in 2007, but will the WH and the GOP be able to strong-arm their confirmation?**

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm surprised they didn't do it first.