South Korea subway arson attack.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Feb 18, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

DAEGU, South Korea (CNN) -- Firefighters searching a burned out subway station in South Korea are reported to have found about 100 more bodies inside a wrecked train.
    Police suspect the fire in the southern city of Daegu was an arson attack and are questioning a 46-year-old man witnesses say ignited a milk carton filled with a flammable substance in the train.
    At least 50 people have been confirmed dead,135 injured, many seriously, and at least 97 are listed as missing. Officials say they expect the death toll to rise much higher.
    Fire swept through the train as trapped passengers made last desperate cell phone calls to friends and relatives before they were overcome by smoke, South Korean television reported. With the fire largely extinguished three hours after it was ignited at 0955 (0255GMT), firefighters wearing breathing gear searched the station and surrounding tunnels for those trapped and missing.
    Rescuers initially had trouble entering the station to tackle the blaze because of heavy black smoke and toxic gases billowing out of the tunnels.
    Among the dead recovered so far are the bodies of 14 subway employees found on a station platform where they had been trapped by the fire.
    "A man in his 40s dressed in a tracksuit set fire to a plastic milk carton containing a flammable liquid and threw it inside the subway train," a witness told South Korea's Yonhap news agency.
    Police have not given any indication as to the motive for the attack and do not as yet know what was in the carton. But police sources did say the man in custody has a history of mental problems.
    One witness told CNN the blaze could have been sparked by accident when an elderly man jostled with the suspect, causing him to drop a cigarette lighter into the milk carton.
    In the minutes after the blaze broke out, thick smoke poured from the subway entrances and ventilation shafts.
    Dozens of fire engines rushed to the scene and ambulances ferried the injured to hospitals across the city.
    YTN, a national cable news channel, reported that some of the injured were in a serious condition, many suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
    The single subway line runs through the center of Daegu, the third largest city in South Korea with a population of about 2.5 million.
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/02/18/skorea.fire/index.html

2. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Trapped passengers made SOS calls

As thick black smoke billowed out of subway ventilator shafts in Daegu, firefighters wearing oxygen tanks and orange suits rushed underground to search for survivors.
    Meanwhile, on the burning train, trapped passengers made desperate calls on their cell phones to friends and relatives.
    Hours later, the acrid odor of burned plastic still wafted over the scene where more than 100 people died in what appears to be an arson attack on the city's single subway line.
    Rescuers brought victims, their faces and clothes black with soot, up to the street in stretchers and slid them into ambulances.
    One witness detailed the terrifying scene inside the subway as the fire ignited.
    "The man kept flickering a lighter and an old man told him to stop. The man dropped the lighter and the train caught fire," an unidentified male survivor told YTN all-news television, The Associated Press said.
    "Several young men seized him, but the fire spread and black smoke rose. Then everyone rushed out."
    Firefighters gave horrifying accounts of the scene underground: bodies of victims asphyxiated as they tried to escape up the stairs; on the platform were the ashen bones of those trapped in the flames.
    Television pictures showed the charred frames of the subway cars, their seats burned away.
    One man whose wife was in the subway told South Korean television he had talked to her by cell phone, Reuters reported.
    "Help me," she told her husband. "There's a fire on the subway. The door is locked."
    Another man told YTN that his friend called him on his cell phone saying he was trapped in one of the cars.
    Dense smoke billows from ventilation shafts.
    Kim Bok-sun, 45, said her missing daughter, 21-year-old Kang Yeon-ju, was on the burning train and called in panic.
    "She only said that there was a fire and the train door wasn't opening, so I told her to just break open a window and get out," AP quoted her as saying.
    Kim called her daughter back a few minutes later, "but she never answered the phone."
    Daegu's single subway line runs through the central part of the city, a well-established center for the textile, dyeing and fashion industry. A second subway line is being built.
    Daegu was one of 10 World Cup soccer venues in South Korea last year. It is the third largest city in South Korea with a population of 2.5 million.
    In 1995, a gas explosion in a subway construction site in the city killed 101 people and injured 143 others.

3. peter2002 macrumors 6502

This is just going to give ideas to the nuts and terrorists here in the USA some ideas on what to do to NYC next.

Pete :(

4. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I read that this morning, very sad and disgusting that someone would do something like that to that many people for no reason other then stupidity. I feel for the family anmd friends of those who were burned to death beyond any recognition. Absolutely disgraceful.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

An American's response

Yes, very sad. *sniff sniff*

So how about that winter snowstorm, huh?

6. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

You make me sick. What, Americans are born evil while every other person alive is a Saint?
    You would never criticize other peoples for expressing sympathy and then going on with their lives.

Excuse me for sounding crass but tens of thousands of people die every day (I know most are not tragic). Terrible things happen in this world. We simply cannot do something about every problem in the world. Yes indeed this is a tragic occurence and so expressions of sympathy are in order.

But what more do you really want? They have their own government, so they can deal with this murderer. They have their own relief organizations so they can help the injured and bereaved. Of course if some Americans feel deeply moved to help out we would encourage and applaud their efforts, but it would simply be overkill (I apologize for a poor choice of wording) if every American was to offer more than sympathy.

Alex Ant, what more will you be doing than criticizing Americans. At least these others were offering sympathy.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I know that what that man did was stupid and horrible, but I don't see news of death or anything like that something to mourn every day. If we did, we'd all be really weird, and demonic... I see it as something like this:

8. pantagruel macrumors regular

yeah this is a sad incident, but these things are happening all over all the time so I try not to think about them too much, otherwise Id be an even more miserable person;)
    Im sure this is not "terrorist" related, probably just a single sick individual that wont be hurting anyone anymore. of course s.korea is "pro" U.S. so maybe it does have something to do with the N.Korea agenda.

9. charboneau macrumors member

Increasingly less so

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Charboneau, could you please reserve your political opinions for political threads and not put them in your sig. I have to restrain myself from debating them every time I see your posts so I don't hijack threads. :) :D :) :D

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

south korea happens to be one of the most wired countries on earth...all those cell phone calls.
    My mom was worried so much (she's part korean) last night all she'd do was talk to her sisters and brothers about it. :rolleyes:
    I was playing vice city at the time.

12. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

I'm sorry but to see you roll your eyes over your mom's worries is sad, do you not realize around 120 people died on that day? If your mom is Korean and she has family there I would think you would show some compassion.

And why make a fuss over charboneau's sig, sig's have nothing to do with threads, if you don't agree then hey, you don't have to, keep your comments about it in the designated thread/forum.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yeah I know but she hates her siblings and to see her talking and talking and talking like that just bugs me.
    Yeah for the first 20 hours i showed some compassion. But EVER SINCE IT HAPPENED TO THIS POINT IN TIME RIGHT NOW?! my mom drives me nuts sometimes.
    and she doesn't have family over there...that's the thing! i was surprised that my mom was even like all scared over it at our place you'd think that september 11 happened all over again.