Southern GOoPers Claim Right to Ignore SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 31, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if these guys support the federal Defense of Marriage act? :rolleyes:
    And they say only liberal judges are activist...

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wish we had a "plam smacking the forehead" smilie 'cause the :rolleyes: just isn't strong enough for situations like this.

So, bets on how many of them have uttered the phrase, "Son, I am the law!"

Lethal

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I seriously wonder what Bush's legacy will be several years down the road - especially among the GOP.

Sure, in the short term he helped them get the votes to control most branches of government, but the tactics used seemed to have had unintended consequences, many of them ugly and almost all of them ultimately divisive.

As someone who is Conservative in many ways, I lament the position of many Conservatives in the comingn years - of watching their party fracture and become something unrecognizeable - and possibly having to subsequently vote Democratic.

To the extent that this highlights further erosion of our very system of governance, I would hope people take notice - because Pandora's box has been opened and we know how that story goes.

To draw a perhaps inappropriate analogy (but one that sprung to mind) - I can compare what looks to be happening here with what has happened in Iraq. Manufacture or exploit a (potential) threat. Rally the troops. Attack that threat with little regard to established law because you think you're morally correct. Topple established order. Unintended consequences - troops lose coherence. Chaos ensues. You get the idea.

This is pretty depressing stuff, regardless of how it plays out in this particular venue.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if it comes down to it, i say this time we just let them secede.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Apparently Alabama hasn't come very far since the days of George Wallace. Ignorance and arrogance still reign. I'd love to dismiss this as the ravings of a few fringe lunatic candidates, but the fact that they seem to enjoy a good amount of voter support is positively frightening. I mean, if these idjits were to actually take action based on these beliefs, we'd be talking about treason.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'll take the defense on my neighboring state and say that there is just as much ignorance and arrogance in any state of the Union as you believe there is in Alabama. That is, what you are believing based on this one article.

FYI Roy Moore was ousted and has run unsuccessful political campaigns since. I wouldn't call that voter support.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Assuming this gains traction/voter support, I would be curious to see the Fed reaction.

Like I mentioned before, this is dangerous ground for the Administration and the GOP - who are you going to risk alienating?

At the very least, if this progresses, Alabama could have some pretty poor highways.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, arrogance is universal but when a state supreme court justice believes he is above the law, that's scary. If the voters support him, then anarchy can be the only result and maybe it is time the south got its own way and left the union. I'm sick of all the bile coming out of there.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's even scarier when a President thinks the same thing.

Roy Moore makes me ashamed to be from Alabama. Most everyone I know doesn't like him either, and that includes some very conservative Christians who also felt he was in the wrong (re: washing machine sized display of Ten commandments on government property). Not to mention his local political ads had nothing to do with anything except how much he thinks he's a man of God. Politics and religion often find themselves in bed together here.

On a more hypothetical note, I wonder what people would be saying if the issue were instead something like the state of Massachusetts ignoring a SCOTUS ruling that banned gay marriage.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No offense intended to the better half of Alabama. It's just that I haven't heard these kinds of opinions coming from politicians in other states.

My own state, Ohio, isn't much better. It's the state that put Bush over the top in 2004 -- with the help of some shenanigans by Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, some think -- and now that same Ken Blackwell is running for governor with a platform based on his anti-gay marriage beliefs and a constitutional amendment that will put Ohio's budget in the same kind of disastrous strait-jacket as Colorado's.

We're also home to Bush friend, alleged illegal fundraiser and embezzler Tom Noe.

So I'm not exactly speaking from any position of superiority here. :eek:

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd be against that approach for the same reasons I'm against what these guys are proposing.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. Let's not make the same mistake twice. Let them go and become a theocracy if they want.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Nor am I! :)

However, if I came across as defensive, I apologize. Living in Mississippi, I sometimes get embarrassed that we are last in everything. But, mostly I'm proud of what we do have. There's plenty of hate groups (and individuals) around for us all to worry about. Check out this map.

There are some good things about Mississippi!