Southwest Airlines Flight 3050 crashes in Oakland

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skoker, Jun 3, 2007.

1. macrumors 68000

skoker

Nosegear broke upon landing:

Looks like aircraft N356SW, a Boeing 737-3H4.

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

"Crash" seems to be a bit of an overstatement, but it definitely made the news here.

No one was injured and everybody was on their way to San Diego on alternate flights within a few hours.

3. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Southwest has an amazing track record, so these incidents are VERY isolated.

Crash is a bit overkill, more like "failed landing"

4. macrumors 65816

hayduke

Yeah, the title overstates things a bit. I wouldn't call it a crash. I wouldn't call it a good thing either, but I wouldn't call it a crash.

Sounds like everyone was bascially fine, but it is crazy to imagine going through a botched landing, sliding down the rubber escape ramp, and then boarding a flight again a few hours later (on the same airline!!!) to get to your desitination. I hope they at least got some free peanuts.

5. macrumors 603

SkyBell

They always get free peanuts.:)

How about free alcoholic drinks? (They charge you for those.)

6. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Best part about flying international! ;)

7. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm glad there were no injuries. That must have been scary.

My dad went down one of those slides once. Although nobody would want to be in an emergency situation, in the diagrams the slides always look like they'd be fun to try. Maybe they should inflate one for an "airport open house" sometime and let people slide on it.

8. macrumors 68020

samh004

I'll say, I saw the thread title and thought the worst... quickly navigating to google, expecting to see thousands of stories on it.

It'd be just like a bouncy castle wouldn't it..

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

skoker

In our industry, metal hitting pavement= crash. Although the 'real world' definition differs a bit, technically a plane could get a flat tire and it would be classified in the records as a crash.

10. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe the NTSB would classify this as an "incident" since it did not result in any injuries, but I'm not certain I'm remembering the FAR definitions correctly. Possibly the damage to equipment would raise it to "accident."

Edit: here they are.

11. macrumors 68020

ham_man

This is Southwest we're talking about here...;)

12. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Not always. Smoozing it up with flight attendants that are having a bad day often nets you free drinks. :)

I had to pay for my drinks when I flew to Italy. :(

13. macrumors G3

Counterfit

They have booze on Southwest? :confused:

14. macrumors 68030

joepunk

If I remember correctly I did not get charged a dime for my alcoholic drinks when I flew to Mexico City. Don't remember the airline that I flew but we were definitely over the boarder when free drinks were served. :D

15. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They had free plum wine on Japan Airlines. :)

16. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i was told that drinking (alcohol of course) is not a good idea when flying international.

17. macrumors demi-god

Some friends and I flew to Germany a few weeks ago for vacation.

From the US to Germany, we flew Lufthansa, and all of the alcohol was free. It was nice getting some Bailey's before sacking out. I didn't know it was free (having only flown domestic flights before), so the attendants joked with me for the rest of the flight. "Hot towel? It's free." "Snack? It's free." Oye. :)

From Germany to the US, we flew United, and alcohol cost the usual $5, "exact change preferred".

One thing I appreciated about Lufthansa was how they did their overhead announcements. They were first in German, then in English. The English would last roughly as long as the German.

On the United flight, they'd do English first, and then sum it up to one or two sentences in German. I know that many Europeans understand English, but if you didn't on that flight, you definitely weren't getting the same details. :(

18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's not a good idea to drink while flying, period. It promotes dehydration and the effects of the alcohol are increased due to the altitude.

19. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

without questioning your wisdom, why do airlines do it then?

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For the same reason they do everything else: $$$

21. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's also because it's what travelers expect and demand. When it was allowed on U.S. flights, letting passengers smoke was never in the airlines financial interest, except in the roundabout way that passengers who smoked would become/stay their customers. The same with the "free" pillows and blankets and soft drinks you can get with most carriers; they don't directly feed the bottom line, but they do it because giving you what you want, within reason, will encourage you to be their customer, and that's good for their business overall.

22. macrumors 68020

no harm at least, It didn't read well on the homepage, due to the listing below either.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, yes. An airline that didn't serve alcohol would lose a lot of customers and not gain many. But they do make good money selling drinks too.

24. macrumors G5

yg17

Heck, last time I flew American (domestic) they gave me a cup of soda. Filled it up, handed me the cup, that was it. I remember when they would fill the cup and then give you the rest of the can. :rolleyes:

Free booze would be awesome on domestic flights though :D

25. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They seem to be inconsistent about this. My unproven theory is that you are more likely to get the whole can if you ask for a drink that is less often requested. If you ask for Coke, you get a cup. If you ask for Ginger Ale or Tomato Juice, you get the can.