Soz if someone has asked..but i doubt it. FCE2 + iMac PPC: OUT OF MEMORY?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sailesh, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Sailesh macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2006
    Hello Geniuses, I've been a lurker til now....great site in all...

I need help....which everyone knows, but I actually need help in regard to video editing, using Final Cut Express 2, on my iMac.

I own an iMac (pre-iSight days...) 2Ghz PPC with 2Gig ram and 250gig HD (also attached is a fw connected 500 gig HD!, I bought it mainly due to this specific error..thinking it would some how sort it out. peh.).

Recently went on my hols (thailand and dubai - t'was really nice) and when I came back I had over 7 hours of DV footage, I uploaded it all and saved it within iMovie HD then imported into Final Cut Express 2 (don't ask why I did this capturing procedure a long winded == teh odd) and started editing - half way through tape uno i suddenly get an error message 'error: out of memory'...this fine prompt disables me from doing any rendering of footage or actual SAVING!!

I've tried working in different ways - having the footage on my main HD and also my external one...nothing seems to work.

I have had problems with my iMac, it's gone through 3 logic boards already (I only bought it in Sept '05)...could it be the mac? or is it something I've stupidly missed out upon.

Help with this would be appreciated as I cannot work like's just really frustrating!!
  2. Shasta macrumors member

Mar 20, 2005
    Upstate/Central NY
    I had a similar problem 2 days ago.

for me it was with iTunes. It was right after the last update, but I also just installed a new 250Gig HD in the second spot.

Half of my RAM was free.

the only way I could get anywhere was when I reinstalled iTunes.

not sure if this helped
  3. Sailesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2006
    thanks for your reply!

But alas no (i have had probs with the new itunes update too but nothing to do with this problem...), as i've had this problem happen quite a while before the latest updates.

and now it has come to fruition that my HD needs repairing (as in what i've been told via disk utility)...but the thing is, it keeps failing on the verify and disables me from clicking on REPAIR... :-/
  4. Sailesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2006