SP G4 or DP g4 1.25???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djtet, Sep 12, 2003.

1. djtet macrumors regular

OK all, here we go again...
    For a while now I've been going back and forth on everything from an emac to a g5. I'm really getting tired of constant searching for the best machine that fits my price range. I've been searching for refurbished DP G4 1.25 (anything less than $1450 would fit my price range for DP G4 1.25) However, since I can't find any refurb DP G4 1.25, and am not even sure if I need that much power, I'm starting to lean more on the SP G4 1.25. ($1300 new). Basically I want to be able to work with somewhat decent (1-40MB) photoshop files, work in illustrator, do some flash and dreamweaver work, email, internet, blah, blah...you get the point. I won't be doing anything such as video editing or music editing. So will a SP G4 1.25 with 768MB ram suffice? I just need to hear from people who own both SP and DP machines how their machine works for them! Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    -Dan
    PS...I only had a few minutes to try out machines when I was visiting NY (Walt Whitman Apple store) but now I'm back in SC and no apple stores are close, so I can't try for myself!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have two machines for the kind of thing that you're describing. One is a B&W G3/400 upgraded to G3/800 and the other is a dual G4/800. I've also worked with various G4/450 and G4/500 machines, single and dual.

Yes, the 1.25 GHz single will suffice but I would suggest putting more RAM in it to give it as much of a boost as possible, esp. when dealing with larger photographs. If you have multiple applications open, you would like having dual processors, but it's by no means necessary.

You'll also find that Adobe's next set of revisions will perform much better than the current versions which will be a great thing. Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7 work well, but they're not exactly sprightly.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

The single processor will be more than enough. And as the previous poster said, the more RAM the better, seriously. That said, for the few hundred more for the second processor, I think its worth it. The machine just feels so much more repsonsive, things just happen faster. Its like getting a second computer. So, in closing, the single will be more than enough and you'll be super-happy, but the dual is a pretty good deal if you can afford it.

4. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the feedback...
    I'm pushing towards the SP only for financial reasons. Plus with the money I will save by buying the SP and not a DP, I can afford to stack it with more RAM...
    Getting close on making my purchase, but I would appreciate any other peoples advise/experiences...

5. djtet thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else?

can anyone else please offer any feedback on using SP and DP G4 machines?
    thanks!
    -Dan

6. Alte22a macrumors 6502

I would say that DP are much better, in terms of OS X general responsiveness. I now recomend only DP machines to people. Its really the way to go, quad processors will be nice when the day comes. But DP are nice for multitasking, like playing itunes and running serveal apps at the same time. If you on dreamweaver, flash, and photoshop, I think its nice to have a bit of power, so the poor mac doesnt strain so hard when yo uhave many apps open, thats my dollar..

7. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

That could be so, but I doubt it that your dual 500 is much faster than a single 1.25 loaded with ram and a fast drive and better graphics card.

8. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

I plan on buying a new mac in a couple of weeks TOO! I know a G5, even the 1.6 with about 1 gig of ram is very good, but, i wonder if i could be happy with a Single G4 1.25, since they are SO cheap ! I dont use the computer for heavy task like photoshop, etc (rarely) but i use it to play some games (dungeon siege, NWN, maybe UT 2k3, etc) and for everyday use (dvd burning, ripping, some multitasking, etc) . I now have a G4 700 in my emac and beginning to find it slow. My question is would I be able to have fun anyway with a single 1.25 G4 with a stock radeon 9000 for a year or two (compared to my eMac 700) because they cost 1649 canadian (student price) or should I REALLY wait and raise some money to get a single 1.6 that cost 2300 (student without superdrive). I dont mind selling the G4 next year to get a 3ghz G5 so.... I'll not buy a dual G4, since the G5 1.6 is only 300 $ more. it's the 1.6 G5 or the 1.25 single G4. What do you think ? Is a G4 1.25 a real lost of money for me ? Is it as noisy so I should take a G5 only for that matter ? So many questions !! and is the option of the Geforce 4 TI a really good option ? should I pay almost 300 $ canadian to upgrade from the stock radeon pro 9000 ? How is the radeon 9600 compared to a Geforce 4 TI ! I cant get to sleep ! :(
    thanks