Space Billboards Banned by the U.S... Huh??

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Flying Llama, May 20, 2005.

1. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Aug 4, 2004
    Los Angeles

Apparently the U.S is banning billboards floating at low altitude atmosphere, close to space. But shouldn't it be some sort of international organization like the United Nations doing something like this? I like what they are doing, but as a matter of principal... does the U.S think they (or we, whichever) own space? :confused:

And what do they mean "obstructive"? Isn't that like, an opinion? If they ban them, just ban them all! :p
  2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Imagine looking up and seeing an Apple logo instead of the moon, cool.

I agree with you that the US shouldn't presume to 'own' space.

Would a low earth orbit 'Vote Kerry', launched by the rest of the world but visible over the US last November, have done any good?
  3. Flying Llama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Aug 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Haha! That would be funny, but only for a few days...

Yup! :)

Hehe, but I think people would just get mad at ruining the (somewhat and already polluted) "clear" sky, resulting in a boycott and more votes for Bush.
  4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    remember the advertising blimps in BladeRunner. Made me think of those.
    It's a bird, It's a plane, No it's Tide Laundry Detergent-NEW & Improved!
  5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah and its not embarrassing enough to still have the vote Kerry bumper stickers on your car.

The proposals for orbiting ads that I have seen are for small dot like satellites flying in formation.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    There is plenty of space junk in orbit now. We certainly don't need to add to that number. Why spoil such a beautiful as the crisp clear blue sky.
  7. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    It probably only applies to U.S. based companies and such. Of course, the companies that have the means to advertise in such a way probably aren't confined to the U.S. Darn it.
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Much better to have a huge Tampax and/or Preparation H space billboard in geostationary orbit over Europe. ;)

They like space billboards. :p
  9. Flying Llama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Aug 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ah, that clears up a lot, thank you! :)
  10. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    I hope these sort of ads never happen. But they will. :mad:
  11. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Space billboards? whats the world coming to? Or more, whats space coming to?
  12. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    wow, as if we don't have enough hideous eye sore ads cluttering our lives.
  13. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004

That's exactly what I thought too!
  14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    FWIW, i'm pretty sure there are a couple of private companies with this as a goal, so it's not an unreasonable fear, sadly. As to companies in other countries, I don't know how the laws work, and whether they could float one over New Jersey, but i say we pass a law and shoot the mofos down, if it ever comes to that...
  15. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    while I agree on general principle, I am more concerned about a law being passed that would allow us to have weapons that could fire far enough to go into orbit
  16. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

May 4, 2005
    Here's something for your pipe

I like what they are doing, but as a matter of principal... does the U.S think they (or we, whichever) own space? :confused:

Advertising in space is horrendous but there are other terrible things that deserve your consternation. The following quotes are from Rebuilding America’s Defenses: Strategy, Forces and Resources for a New Century.

It was writen by your friendly men at the Pentagon.

I picked these out in 5 minutes so it probably has other glorious insights into what else America has planned for the world if you were to delve further.

“CONTROL the new international commons of space cyberspace and pave the way for the creation of a new military service – U.S. Space Forces – with the mission of space CONTROL.

Inevitably, new technologies may create the need for entirely new military organizations; this report will argue below that the emergence of space as
    a key theater of war suggests forcefully that, in time, it may be wise to create a separate “space service.”and the ability to conduct strikes from space appears on the not-too-distant horizon – the need for ground maneuvers to achieve decisive political results endures. Regimes are difficult to change based upon PUNISHMENT alone. In sum, the process of rebuilding today’s Air Force – apart from to accelerate the process of transformation within the service, to include developing new space capabilities. The ability to have access to, operate in, and DOMINATE the aerospace environment has become the key to military success in modern, high-technology warfare. Indeed,space dominance may become so essential to the preservation of American military preeminence that it may require a separate service.”

And guess what? This service now exists …well done America you now have the worlds first Space Commander.
  17. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    exactly i dont wanna be taking pictures of a night sky and get billboard trails instead of star trails!!!
  18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Isn't space classed the same as internatinal waters.?

Made me laugh when i read this, anyone read the sequal to Red Dwarf "Infinity welcomes careful drivers"?, when an American space crew explode hundreds of stars to create "COKE ADDS LIFE" and the image burned night and day for 6 months in the sky.

George is so stupid he might even think about it.
  19. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    And how are they gonna stop ESA or the Russian Space Program from doing this?
  20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Politics, lets see they dont want BillBoards but they do want weapons? Who runs our Govt? its not the people i assure you, its BigBusiness. Sad that are Planet has to invest Trillions on weapons every year. Human Race has a screw loose somewhere. Imagine if that money could go to Disease,Hunger,Energy,Space Travel......Instead we spend it all on blowing each other up. :mad: Pisses me off, maybe one day in the distant future :rolleyes:
  21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    You know it. I remember about a decade ago, there was some Brit who had a plan all ready to do this very thing: launch a space billboard. I'm not sure why it never came to pass -- public objection, hopefully -- but the fact that anyone is seriously contemplating it is scary.

We're already suffering from enough ad pollution. What're they gonna try next, attaching eyeglasses to our heads that beam advertising to us no matter which way we look? :mad:
  22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    If this is a first step to get it outlawed around the world, that's fine by me. I don't ever want to look up and see an ad in space - I like the night sky just the way it is. And astronomers are just a small group - you'd have to ask the whole world if they'd want to see the ad.....the problems you'd start by putting one of these up would be disastrous.

I hope they'll be able to enforce it.

23. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Don't worry about space billboards. There are commercially available lasers plenty powerful enough to destroy whatever the ad companies come up with. All it would take is a couple smart malcontents, and it would be very hard to track them down.

Highway billboards are the real obnoxious ones. I propose a team effort of systematic arson.
  24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    DUH, no kidding!

Yeah, I think so too. I didn't think anyone would approve of human cloning, either, but it'll happen soon if it hasn't already.
  25. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Jan 25, 2004
    East Lansing, Michigan
    Ever read The Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey? It's about a group of modern day "outlaws" who do precisely what you're referring to: drive around burning down billboards or sawing through the supports to topple them. They also sabotage construction sites where new highways and parking lots are being put in on top of pristine wilderness. Their ultimate goal is to blow up the Glen River Canyon dam.

Fantastic book, check it out!