Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
Anyone having this issue with their Space Black Watch coating peeling off at certain areas?
IMG_5952.jpg
IMG_5953.jpg

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I think those two links had an issue in the DLC plating process. Hopefully they just replace the band, so you don't have to go through pairing a new watch with your phone.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Anyone having this issue with their Space Black Watch coating peeling off at certain areas? View attachment 558036 View attachment 558037

Between issues like this which may or may not be due to the process vs. a particular unit not being properly applied, and the issue of the fact that I think the DLC is no less scratch intolerant than the SS (though the SS will show lots of little scratches they both can sustain damage somewhat easily) I just don't see this as an $1,100 product.

Nice: yes.
Premium: yes.
$1,100 value: no.

Reactions: BarredOwl

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
Between issues like this which may or may not be due to the process vs. a particular unit not being properly applied, and the issue of the fact that I think the DLC is no less scratch intolerant than the SS (though the SS will show lots of little scratches they both can sustain damage somewhat easily) I just don't see this as an $1,100 product.

Nice: yes.
Premium: yes.
$1,100 value: no.

DLC is definitely more scratch resistant compared to standard SS. Lots of evidence to prove it. Do a quick google search.

Also as a watch enthusiast, 1k for a watch is nothing. Honestly having the watch for two weeks, I see the details looked into when Apple designed the watch. Definitely worth 1k.

The edition watches on the other hand...that's another story.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
DLC is definitely more scratch resistant compared to standard SS. Lots of evidence to prove it. Do a quick google search.

Also as a watch enthusiast, 1k for a watch is nothing. Honestly having the watch for two weeks, I see the details looked into when Apple designed the watch. Definitely worth 1k.

The edition watches on the other hand...that's another story.
So my SS is more likely to get scratch than the Space a black one? Did not know that. I thought it would be like the iPhone 5 and the black was much worse than the grey/white model. I will try and be super careful, but I have to say the Space Black is an amazing looking watch. I think ever thing from the SS up look amazing. The sports no so much.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
So my SS is more likely to get scratch than the Space a black one? Did not know that. I thought it would be like the iPhone 5 and the black was much worse than the grey/white model. I will try and be super careful, but I have to say the Space Black is an amazing looking watch. I think ever thing from the SS up look amazing. The sports no so much.

The black iPhone was anodized aluminum, whereas the space black is a diamond-like carbon coating that's bonded to the stainless steel. It is a very tough coating but can still be marked and scratched.

Where many SS owners have lots of microscratches, I have 0. However, I did bump the case into the edge of my desk and it did leave a mark. My guess is that it dented the SS under the coating and that neither watch would have been able to withstand it.

I guess because we will upgrade every 1-3 years (depending on what is upgraded and the person involved) I'm not sure if marks are really all that bad for how good it looks

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The black iPhone was anodized aluminum, whereas the space black is a diamond-like carbon coating that's bonded to the stainless steel. It is a very tough coating but can still be marked and scratched.

Where many SS owners have lots of microscratches, I have 0. However, I did bump the case into the edge of my desk and it did leave a mark. My guess is that it dented the SS under the coating and that neither watch would have been able to withstand it.

I guess because we will upgrade every 1-3 years (depending on what is upgraded and the person involved) I'm not sure if marks are really all that bad for how good it looks
Oh ok thanks for the clarification. I knew the iPhone 5 was aluminum. I am just dumb and forgot about it.

I really hope we do not have to upgrade every 1-3 years. I am a big watch person, and my SS has become my favorite watch. I have out nothing else on since. I would like to keep it for at least 5. I know that is unrealistic, but it would be nice. I am putting a lot of money into mine with bands, so I would like to make it an investment.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
They get half off?

Yep...50% off except for the Edition.

I just left my local Apple Store. Saw about 5 employees with the Space Gray, no other types of AW.

I was wearing a jacket and didn't pull my sleeves up.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yep...50% off except for the Edition.

I just left my local Apple Store. Saw about 5 employees with the Space Gray, no other types of AW.

I was wearing a jacket and didn't pull my sleeves up.
I have only had one person say anything to me about mine. I had more people ask me about my pebble and Moro 360. I guess they just expect new gadgets from me now, and don't bother asking.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I have only had one person say anything to me about mine. I had more people ask me about my pebble and Moro 360. I guess they just expect new gadgets from me now, and don't bother asking.

I was drooling over the iMac's 5k display!

Also looking for a leather loop which they didn't have. Just the blue and white sports bands so far. Don't know if they had any in the back, I didn't ask.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
Those "peeling" pics look bad.

Am wondering if the owner has a metal stand, but even then I can't see that sort of damage being done.

Got to be a manufacturing fault?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Am wondering if the owner has a metal stand, but even then I can't see that sort of damage being done.

There are always manufacturing defects. You just hope they're very rare. Impurities on the stainless steel could have caused the DLC to not bond to those two links in the PVD process.
We don't yet know how many of these have been shipped, but it's save to say it's 10's of thousands at least. And this is the only one we've heard of. Remember - the membership here represents a very small percentage of Watch customers. If there were more cases, there would be discussions about this already.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
There are always manufacturing defects. You just hope they're very rare. Impurities on the stainless steel could have caused the DLC to not bond to those two links in the PVD process.
We don't yet know how many of these have been shipped, but it's save to say it's 10's of thousands at least. And this is the only one we've heard of. Remember - the membership here represents a very small percentage of Watch customers. If there were more cases, there would be discussions about this already.

This. Im sure if you do have a peeling band, Apple will take care of you anyway. I so far havent seen any peeling on mine. Had it since monday.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
This. Im sure if you do have a peeling band, Apple will take care of you anyway. I so far havent seen any peeling on mine. Had it since monday.

Shouldn't they have caught this in QC?

Or wonder if they did, but decided to just send it out and hope the new owner would overlook it.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong

Nope not using a metal stand. I use a Spigen Stand which has rubber around the charging puck and only rubber gets in contact with the watch...not even on those areas where the coating is peeling.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Shouldn't they have caught this in QC?

Or wonder if they did, but decided to just send it out and hope the new owner would overlook it.

Cant catch in QC unless they put it through "scratch" tests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.