space concerns..woah!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asif786, May 14, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

i just realised today that i have around 900mb before i run out of space on my hd :/ that's a bit too low for me..

anyway, my hd is 80 gigs. my home directory is 53 gigs. does anyone know where all my space is going?

my apps folder is 3 gigs, library is 11 gigs, and system is 1.1 gigs.

is library meant to be this big? does anyone else have any of their folder sizes so i can compare? (heh, sounds a bit weird i know..)

thanks,
    asif

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use a program called WhatSize. It shows you what's taking up a lot of space on your hard drive so you can delete stuff you don't need. Based on my own computer, I'd guess that maybe a lot of the space in your home folder is being taken up by your iTunes library. Do you have a big iTunes library?

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Go to www.versiontracker.com and get DeLocalizer if you haven't already. This can remove up to 900 Mb of foreign-language resources from your OS.
    CacheOut X is another program that's handy to have, it deletes various cache files.

These are not solutions to your Godzilla-like space requirements for iTunes, movies and photos ;) but they can get you a bit of breathing room.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

5. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

great, thanks for the tips everyone. :)

i do wish i would've got a bigger hd now. i have another 40 gig porsche drive which is filled up too :/

as you said, those apps will give me a little breathing room until i can get a new hd.

thanks guys!

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Library seems pretty big. My user library is just under 1GB and the main Library is just under 5GB

If you did an Archive & Install, have you deleted your Previous System folders? Also worth checking that you've emptied the Trash in iPhoto - a lot of images can build up in there.

7. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

thanks for the tips. i seem to be back up to around 5gb now, which is ok.

the library is big because of the garageband jampack i installed - it takes up around 7 gigs - plus the sample projects take up 2 gigs (i've deleted them now).

anyway, using delocalizer and whatsize let me see where the space is going. i thoroughly recommend these tools to anyone!