Space Elevator... are they mad????

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 12, 2002.

1. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

What do you do when there is a really strong wind? What happens when the cable breaks? At least if you are on the space shuttle you can glide but with an elevator it's a strait plummet. What if little kids get in it? Won't they just push the buttons just to take rides? and annoy everyone? :D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is science fiction, in the sense that space travel was at the time of Jules Verne. Its a great idea for technology needs we see today, getting into space with the least amount of effort and cost.

What really should be looked at, because this sort of engineering feat is just about impossible, is figuring out anti-grav. Once we develop that there won't be any need for a space elevator.

Have you ever read 3001: A 3001: The Final Oddyssey Clark envisions a manmade ring around the earth connected by several space elevators. Its a curiosity, nothing more and definitely something we'll never see in our life time.

Bringing an asteroid and parking it in orbit, well, that might happen. Makes much more sence getting all the building supplies from space than trying to lift them off the planet. There are several companies looking into mining near earth asteroids for water and metal. The value of a C-Type asteroid in raw materials alone is in the trillions of dollars, and that's if it was on earth, it would be way more if you had to bring it to orbit.

D

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Totally Mad, probably will never happen (unless the controling software is compatible with OSX :)) But I can't wait for it to happen if it does :) It would be so cool, and so so so very dangerious :)

Ensign

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the only way it might happen is as a amusement ride. But really, don't think that we'll have the technology to do this any time soon. The tensile stresses alone on the cables will be incredible. Relying on a technology to come along that will be able to deal with it is like saying we'll build a spaceship and then put the Warp Drive in when we figure it all out.....

D

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

6. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Sounds like a fun ride. Personally I'm into taking a black hole when it disappears (doesn't actually disappear, but becomes elongated into a line, thin enough that you can't see it against the ink of space) and using those lines as a sort of tram system. Hyperspace railway if you will. Just theory though.

Of course, in physics, my theory is as likely as anyone elses.

I also want to live in a hypercube .

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, with the right frame of reference, you might already be living in a hypercube and not realize it. Depending on who you talk to, there are more than 10 dimensions.

D

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think there are 11 dimensions, but this is just based on my own twisted therory, I also like the idea of Multiple big bangs but that now i think maybe untrue.

Ensign

9. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Re: Space Elevator... are they mad????

I read this in a dutch scientific magazine a few years ago.
    Not all the technology is mentioned here.
    I can see if I can find it. It souns logocal to me and I think it's going to work.

10. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I personally think it will fail misribly, well, if the UK goverment is involced, although the dome hasn't collapsed yet :)

Ensign

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The expense of such a thing would not allow just one government to be able to build it.

I think harnessing an asteroid and putting it in orbit should be done first. Hollow it out from the inside and use the material to make a spacestation - don't bother with shipping up containers from earth, fabricate in space.

Having said that, realize the technology that's required to do that is something we don't have right now. In order for things to really get going in space, we need to set up some way of manufacturing off planet. The ISS is a tiny compared to the effort that needs to be put forth for this.

D

12. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

10 indeed, check out Michio Kaku's site, he's a badass, email him, he's nice and will answer your questions.:D

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

This reminds me of something someone showed me once. He is an astronomer working on an orbital telescope. The original plan for the orbiter was drawn up the 1970s and showed the telescope being constructed in a docking bay in a massive ringed space station. The plan was to build the station by 1987 and have it be several miles across. Needless to say it was scaled back a bit. Sounds like both these guys watched old star trek reruns too much.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

and this is peanuts compared to a Dyson Sphere - go look that one up and be blown away. It was a concept created by a Scientist (Dyson) many decades ago, but it did show up in an episode of StarTrek TNG.

And Larry Niven wrote about a smaller version in his Ring World books - which is supposed to become a movie - which if done right will be spectacular.

D

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The whole "How fast can i go in realspace?" question seems a bit silly to me.

As soon as I understood how space-folding (Tesseracts) are supposed to work I decided any other form of long-distance space travel would be an incredible waste of time and energy. Why spend all that time and fuel on moving through space when you could "pop in and pop out" at the same level of technology as the rest of that theoretical garbage?:rolleyes: