Space Gray iPhone 5S Touch ID Ring does not match!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnuff1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Anyone else ticked off about the design decision to not have the touch ID ring on the space gray iPhone 5S be space gray, and instead its black?

I like how the ring on the white and gold models match the back color, it give it more contrast and stands out more. A space gray ring around the touch ID sensor would look just as neat on the space gray iPhone, so not sure why they decided to put a black ring on there and its not as distinguishable as the other two models...

2. macrumors 65816

Yep... furious :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I saw people here saying they wanted it to match and the other half said they wanted it black...

If I had a space gray one I would have like it to match w/ space gray ring.

I think a poll is appropriate here.

4. macrumors 6502

Still think it was a last minute change... Look at the box... It is clearly space gray.

5. macrumors 65816

adam044

6. macrumors 68030

bunnicula

I think it looks fine. It's minimalistic.

Since I'm the only one looking at it, I'd also be fine with it if it was gray.

Just a non issue for me. I wanted it for the functionality.

I'm not saying this applies to you, OP, but every time I read someone complaining about the ring on the Space Gray, I feel like it's some weird "I want everyone to know I have a 5s" thing.

7. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Probably had trouble getting the right colour

Or

Whoever is making the rings messed up and it was too late to change them since the they were already running low on stock

8. macrumors newbie

I believe the ring is steel and not aluminum. This may have caused a problem with coloring it space gray.

9. macrumors 6502a

oh man i never noticed this color. how dare apple not match the ring.

im returning my 5S tomorrow and buying a nokia lumina.

10. macrumors 68000

ToroidalZeus

11. macrumors regular

I wish it did match so it's more prominent like the other colors. You can't even tell it's a 5S from afar.

12. macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I think Apple made the correct decision to go with black for the TouchID ring.

If they use the Space Gray colored ring, wouldn't it be a big distraction when viewing videos of the phone? Similarly, when the Space Gray iPhone's screen is turned off, wouldn't a Space Gray colored ring look out of place whereas the rest of the whole phone is showing the same black color? In both cases, you'll probably not get that "seamless" look that you'll get when the ring is black in color if a Space Gray colored ring is used.

13. macrumors regular

But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.

14. macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Actually I love the fact you can't see the ring. It makes everything blend beautifully together. Not a fan of the white model for that reason and the fact I've had nothing but black iPhones and I've had them all. Just love the black. So sleek and classy...just like a grand piano ;-) . As far as not being able to tell its a 5s...I don't care. I bought it for me not others.

15. macrumors 6502a

Difference is, the white faced iPhones were NEVER seamless with the big black screen up front. So a silver, or gold button to accentuate the home button and stand out does indeed look nice.

However, on the Space Grey iPhone models, everything up front is black. It's seamless, and if the home button ring were space grey, it wouldn't look as clean. When the screen isn't on, everything almost literally disappears up front, and thats one of the beauties of the iPhone.

16. macrumors regular

Yeah, you're right. I've always bought the black iPhone even this time around but I think I'll go and exchange for a white one to try it out if I can find any in stock.

17. macrumors 68000

ToroidalZeus

It looks ugly man. They should have kept the bezel around the home button space gray like all the promos showed.

18. macrumors 65816

The front of the device is black. Some of us want a black front because we want to minimize distractions. By making the ring black, it minimizes them.

19. macrumors 68040

are you sure is black and not grey? the surface of home button is not the same black color like the rest of front of the device

20. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

From afar..and that matters how???

21. macrumors regular

Calm down. I like to show off :cool:

22. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Try a show tune then. Haha

23. macrumors 68040

sorry to say but you are holding a space grey in your hands now? if you standing and looking from top to the front there are some differences..the line that surrounding is more light now and the home button as well

24. macrumors 65816

I have not been able to sleep!

25. macrumors 6502a

Same here and I don't even have or even plan to have iPhone 5s.