Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganJones

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
London, UK
But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.

You already don't get the seamless look just by buying the iPhone with a white front as when the phone isn't on you have the black of the panel and the white of the glass around, so they can afford to make it stand out more

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
I was torn between silver and space gray.

Quite frankly, I am OK with the home button either way. It might have looked slightly better with the gray ring, but it doesn't have it. Oh well. Life goes on.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well if they made the Space Gray ring "gray" it would look exactly like the silver one on the silver iPhone.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Still think it was a last minute change... Look at the box... It is clearly space gray.

Nope - look at your phone straight down next to the box. It is just the light reflecting differently because of the angle.

Personally I prefer the ring matching the front face, the gold ring is the worst part of the gold iPhone. Silver looks alright because the silver is close enough to the white.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Nope - look at your phone straight down next to the box. It is just the light reflecting differently because of the angle.

Personally I prefer the ring matching the front face, the gold ring is the worst part of the gold iPhone. Silver looks alright because the silver is close enough to the white.

I see what you are saying but I disagree. It has a different texture to it on the box that is the same as the space gray parts of the box. Look at it closely

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
So.. I had to comment on this as well as it bothers me too. stopped by the apple store over the weekend and it sensor looks like cheap plastic on the space gray.. Looks totally out of place. Considering not opening the new iphone and bringing it back for the silver/white which look tons better..

----------

Well if they made the Space Gray ring "gray" it would look exactly like the silver one on the silver iPhone.

I feel this is a good design.. looks better then how it is now.

oaktree

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
I'm happy to have the seamless look. That's the reason I choose the black, ummm, I mean space gray, anyway.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I ride the subway in NYC and want the least amount of attention brought to my new iPhone. The space gray looks like a regular 5 at a quick glance, totally fine by me. If it could mimic a blackberry, even better :rolleyes:

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I ride the subway in NYC and want the least amount of attention brought to my new iPhone. The space gray looks like a regular 5 at a quick glance, totally fine by me. If it could mimic a blackberry, even better :rolleyes:

But what would this thief do with your phone? Eventually they will realize that it's a brick without the original owners iCloud details.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
black phone

This is really just a BLACK phone, with "space grey" side accents and rear back insert. Compared to the WHITE phones (the other ones) which have either silver or gold side and back inserts.

For those who chose the BLACK phone, I think they would rather have the entire face of the phone be black. All one solid non-intrusive color to the screen reading experience.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The ring si grey ....what are you talking about..you are holding one right now??
see my pic:

i mean is not as black as the rest of front phone, is a lighter black and the home button as well

Attachments

• space grey.jpg
    space grey.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 529

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
What in the world is this obsession with the ring on the black/space gray iPhone?

People like the black front to be consistently black with no interruptions. That's been one of the arguments for purchasing black phones for YEARS now.

On the white, since there are two color choices, they've chosen to accentuate the ring. The white phones have always been a bit more flashy anyway. And you do not have the solidly black screen that you get on the black iPhones, so why not have the ring be another color?

It is also not impossible that white rings were a challenge because they could not be color-matched without looking yellowed/beige and that would've been ugly and everyone would have complained about IT.

Bottom line is that (while it bewilders me) if you want to let people know you have an iPhone 5s from a hundred paces, you really should have ordered a white one online instead of snapping up a black on launch day because you were impatient.

Me? I like the black. I'm back to black for the first time since the iPhone 4, and I'm enjoying the change.

I do not need anyone to know what model iPhone I am carrying by glancing at me, because I am not trying to impress anyone with my iPhone except myself. And I know what model I have.

:)

----------

Its BLACK, it's just shinny. Good heavens. :rolleyes:

Yup. It's black.

Black and beautiful! ;)

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I love my Space Gray iPhone. I have been a longtime supporter of white apple products, but I love the minimalistic look of the black iPhone. I love how the camera and everything just blends in and doesn't stand out like in the white iPhone. It's a nice change. Everything just blends in.

Funny that once I switch to 'black', everyone is switching to white. xD

Mollerade

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2013
Thank goodness I'm not the only one

It may be trivial to some but I too noticed that the bevel on the itouch button doesn't match the bevel on the phone. Since the other colours do match I can only assume that it's a mistake in production. Those who believe it looks fine black instead of space grey are missing the point. It doesn't match, it's not in sync, it breaks the design of the phone up, especially since the sapphire button is semi transparent and isn't piano black like the rest. A space grey ring would I believe help offset the colour change between the glass and the sapphire. Remember folks it's the detail that counts.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Just picked up a space gray 5S, and I love the black ring, it blacks out the whole front. I don't think a gray ring would give the same effect, in my opinion.

----------

Funny that once I switch to 'black', everyone is switching to white. xD

I'm the same way, I had a white 4S, and got a space gray 5S, but it seems like everyone had a black 4/4S and went to a white 5/5S. We're just against the grain. :D I happen to think space gray looks amazing. I was getting bored with white.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
It would definitely make it easier to center my thumb on the home button if the ring were space gray

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
I agree it doesn't look as flashy. Total deal breaker. It would have looked better in silver or a shiny grey.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.