Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
I am looking at getting one of the new MBAs with the 128gb drive.

I was wondering if anyone has one and could tell me how much of the 128gb was left when it was first out of the box with Lion installed and nothing else?

Basically how much free/usable space is there on the drive when it's new?

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Sorry, my fingers were moving faster than my brain. 121 is the "total" space of the SSD (due to the SSD over-provisioning stuff and recovery partition).

I think when I first booted I had 106GB and some change available. Apologies for being dumb!

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
You can free up a fair few GB's by running a program that deletes the extra language files that you never use.

I think its called monolingual or something like that.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
england
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions

Will hopefully be picking up mine in the next couple of weeks and was planning to see how much I could free up before doing anything - may well start a thread if people are interested in knowing how much it is possible to remove with simple tricks like deleting unwanted languages.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
...may well start a thread if people are interested in knowing how much it is possible to remove with simple tricks like deleting unwanted languages.
No need to start a thread, simply get CleanMyMac.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No need to start a thread, simply get CleanMyMac.
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Many have successfully used Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures to free up drive space.

Be aware that extreme caution should be exercised when using such apps, as deleting certain languages or architectures can create significant problems. At best, deleting these things may buy you 1-2GB of drive space, but will not improve your system's performance. If you're not certain about what you're doing, don't delete anything. The small drive space savings are not worth the risk of potential problems.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Can anyone tell me how much would be left on the 64 gig? I just left the apple store but they didn't have any 64s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.