Space Program Announcement Imminent

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Durandal7, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040108-074213-9462r.htm

2. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

More....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/01/08/national2002EST0776.DTL

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im all for exploration but we first need a Great way to high orbit and shuttle isnt it. plus he just blew 87 billion and more in Iraq. Election years suck and now isnt the time to be planning a new moon mission when you just might loose your job. He is trying to round up those votes. Maybe he should secure the borders first, and stop spending my tax dollars like its growing on trees.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

As much as I like space exploration I don't think now is the time... Heck Amtrak could really use that money to make earth travel a lot easier. Besides abandoning the ISS sounds like a terrible idea, finish it, it would provide a stable platform for a Mars mission if need be. Use what u have at ur disposal!

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is a major problem for the Space program, we dont have any long term goals of building on what we have, instead we have a new politician with different ideas every 4 years and in the mean time we have a 25 year old shuttle that can only make low orbit? what ? its not safe, it never came close to meeting its goals, its a big fat pork barrel pig. if we cant keep a low orbit space station going how the heck you going to do one on the moon? lets do a step by step approach and the first step is a Great and less costly and cheaper way to HIGH orbit using todays technologies. then we can build on that. This president is going to spend every dime my Great grandchild has.

6. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

ISS is doomed. International support has largely dropped off, operating costs are prohibitive and it will never be complete. We might as well christen it Mir II.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

terrific they spent how many billions in redesiging that thing before they ever bought the first screw, and now they want to can it. Maybe the space program should be handed over to scaled composites and then start over. Nasa and the politicians will figure out a way to make this thing cost 1000 times what it should.

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

While disappointed about the ISS news, all I have to say about the Moon and Mars missions is YEEESSSSS!!!! And ABOUT TIME!!!

Cool, it is well past time for a renewed presence in space. (I think we need a permanent Moon base and a manned mission to Mars.)

9. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

NASA was not the problem with the International Space Station, the "International" part was the problem.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder if George has been told the Aliens dont want us up on the moon. but then again he's a stubborn Texan.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

some of that is true but i just dont have much confidence in Nasa these days nor the ones who run Nasa. Let Nasa do the science but let someone else run and build the programs.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will work only if there is enough conviction behind it and it can continue after he's out of office. Dumping the ISS is going to be a huge thing - especially with all the work and money spent on it already. Wow!

I can't wait to hear what he has to say - I might actually listen to one of his speeches for the first time ;)

D

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is VERY old news. It was first floated a few weeks before the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers. It was to be announced then.

The return the moon is only to answer the Chinese. The trip to Mars is only to do what his father couldn't do when in office. So unless George Jr. can do it within 2 years, it may be another failed Bush family promise...

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Amtrack should be sold off to private investors, and either make profits or go bankrupt.

15. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Two years?

How long was Kennedy's pledge to land a man on the moon when he announced it to when it was actually achieved? It was more than two years, if memory serves correctly.

Time to get away from the instant gratification. Scientific progress and engineering requires multiple cycles of development and experimentation and refinement. A manned mission to Mars and a permanent presence on the Moon would be great.

I could see IBM PowerPC G8s being made on the low gravity of the moon. :D

16. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Promised in 1961.
    Achived in 1969.

17. TMay macrumors 68000

here's what JFK's thoughts were on the moonrace

http://www.space.com/news/kennedy_tapes_010822.html

As for the ISS problems, when it became apparent that the US could not fund it on its own, it was made into an international project. Unfortunately, we and they, never did have the resources to put into the program to do it right. Still, technological advancement doesn't come cheap. Moreover, everyone in the U.S. was somehow involved in the orginal space program. It was exciting then.

A manned mission to Mars isn't going to happen in the timeframe Bush is talking about. There just isn't enough support for it. More to the point, what will be gained that we couldn't get sooner, and cheaper, with unmanned vehicles?

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We couldn't even get back to the moon in two years.

But making a permanent base there requires one thing we don't know that much about yet - is there or isn't there a supply of water on the moon. If we can find one, then things will be so much easier and less expensive. Processing the water for fuel on the moon would make a permanent base much more viable. If we had to take all our water and fuel with us, then things become way too expensive.

Also, if a permanent base is in the plan, then we need to create a moon shuttle that goes from earth orbit to the moon and never enters the earths atmosphere. It would live in space.

And that's just one of many things....too much needs to be built into the infrastructure for this to happen anytime soon. That and a cheap way to get things off the planet - astronauts, supplies, equipment, etc. With the retirement of the shuttle, what's next?

We're talking decades here.

D

19. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Very ture. Why do we keep supporting a failing system?

20. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    If we all used this way of thinking we would still be living in a world that is pre-industrial revolution. Sometimes it takes doing somethign for the few (scientists...) to make soemthing better happen or the masses (eventual settlement of the rest of sapce...)

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nasa should stick to the cutting edge science and Let somebody else build the vehicles and open Space. A new Space Commerce & Transportation Dept who's Goal is to open space and put in place technologies the spaceships and goals. right now Nasa has no vision and is wondering in low orbit and is the military's lap dog. Let Nasa do the science let someone else implement it and build the ships to open space. also this needs to be a non military oginazation.

Without a new orginazation we will see a lot of paperwork,a lot of waste, and more failures. 1 shuttle was tragic but 2? For some reason(politics) we just cant seem to build the stepping stones. the Politics have to be removed from the space program.
    Look at Scaled composites and what they are doing, no politicians screwing with them though im sure they will be trying. This is what private business can do if left alone but get the govt involved and all focus will be lost unless there is a military goal as in Apollo. here we go again with China. Get private business involved, set the gols and give them the check not some political quasi military beauracratic govt ran orginazation that cant see past the next pork barrel project.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is a news story that has gone off track - lets talk about the space program and move politics to the correct location.

Thanks,

D

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would really like to see a space project again with the intensity that President Kennedy's announcement had. It was an exciting time. Was fortunate to watch the Mercury launches live on TV. It gave me the same goose bumps as my patriotism with seeing the flag and hearing our anthem.

A moon project could bring the world together again. July 20th, 1969 was also a great memory.

24. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I personally think this is a wonderful adventure that we are going to embark upon as a society. I personally don't care what the costs are. I will gladly pay more tax for this. Just imagine the day that you walk outside with your child, point to Mars, and say, sweetheart, there are people walking on that planet right now!