Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Space Shuttle

I'm in shock and sad, frustrated and hurted as many of you may feel now. Who knows what happened up there in the re-entry.

The US is receiving big hits lately, so the rest of the people around the world that have dreams and do not feel boundaries between nations any more.

My most sincere condolences to the family of the tripulation of the Space Shuttle Columbia and to those involve in the space shuttle program.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Ouch...

That's really not good...

My elementary school was named after Christa McAuliffe, the first teacher astronaut. Our mascot was the 'Challengers'

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
ya pretty bad. I have seen it go by twice, once in the day time and once at night. It really rips along (12,500mph) Just saw the footage on japanese TV, pretty shocking.

there must be crew on the ISS, they must be feeling pretty lonely right now.

and only a few days after the anniversary of the challenger disaster. and just noticed that the shuttle does not feature so big on Apples page.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
Ouch...

That's really not good...

My elementary school was named after Christa McAuliffe, the first teacher astronaut. Our mascot was the 'Challengers'

My family is good friends with the McAuliffs. Father instructed pilots with her brother in law in Pansacola in 1985.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
I watched the Challenger explode in 1986, and now this. We have been lucky since then, but neverless it is very tragic and shocking. The space shuttle is such a symbol of hope and when something like this happens, it shakes us out of our dreams into a horrible reality.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by peterjhill
I watched the Challenger explode in 1986, and now this. We have been lucky since then, but neverless it is very tragic and shocking. The space shuttle is such a symbol of hope and when something like this happens, it shakes us out of our dreams into a horrible reality.

I was in Hawaii when the Challenger incident took place, which made it especially poignant, since one of the astronauts was a school teacher from my island.

My heart goes out to the families of those who lost their lives today. :(

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Like Peter, I saw Challenger explode in 1986. To hear this terrible news brings back those horrible feelings I felt back then.

A truly tragic day - I'm devastated...

:(

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I too saw the Challenger explode. It really is amazing that events like this do not happen more often. Traveling into orbit in back is one of the most dangerous things that man can do but so far our precautions have done us very well. I am very saddened by the loss of the Columbia, there are so many feelings welling up reminding me of Challenger I just don't know exactly what to say. Why does such a minor even affect me so much? It's go to be the hopes and dreams that the shuttle program carries with it.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I've been watching Today all morning, and I'm shocked. This is the first time a space shuttle has been lost on re-entry. I can't help but be worried about the future of NASA.

Just as a side note, Apple has removed the new Powermac and 20" Display from their homepage. You might recall that the display featured a picture of a space shuttle taking off (the 20" at the Powermac page still features the image).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
I've been watching Today all morning, and I'm shocked. This is the first time a space shuttle has been lost on re-entry. I can't help but be worried about the future of NASA.

Just as a side note, Apple has removed the new Powermac and 20" Display from their homepage. You might recall that the display featured a picture of a space shuttle taking off (the 20" at the Powermac page still features the image).

My personal feeling is instead of cutting back NASA should run make some memorial missions in remembrance of the Columbia and it's crew.

I expect Apple will publish something in remembrance today.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
With only 3 shuttles remaining, I think it is time for the US to think about what it wants to do. The vehicles are getting up there in age. It is time to think again of the future, while remembering the past.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Anyone else notice that the first debris found was in a Texas town called...Palestine!
As you know the first Israeli astronaut was on the shuttle. Man, I'm not religious but that really creeped me out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Damn, this is going to have huge impact on the space program and pretty much sink the international space station. I wonder if they'll send up another shuttle to get the crew or the Russians will send their escape pod.

This is really a sad day.

And considering the violence of reentry, you really have to think what sort of life span these shuttles have. Was this a freak accident or was it preventable? Time to update the fleet to V 2.0 and get a whole new type. Maybe the space plane will be getting new funding.

D

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Or maybe it will get its funding cut.

Most people just don't care for space travel, with the hopes of life on Mars all but gone. This accident could shut NASA down.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
my god...

it's a national tragedy. it could not have happened at a worst time.

only three left. maybe it's time to give nasa some more funding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.