Space Shuttle Scheduled

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Feb 18, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Looks like May 15th for the Shuttle to launch again!
    Link

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool but we still need a replacement. Its a shame Shuttle will not be allowed to repair Hubble. At least it puts us back in low orbit :rolleyes:

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The orbit has to get to the ISS in an emergency.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish every success to the space shuttle and crew on May 15th. They need to get back into air, then maybe they can think about repair of the ISS and a replacement.

5. relimw macrumors 6502a

It's about time. :)

Best wishes to the shuttle crew, and thank goodness all our people here will be getting back to work soon.

It's too bad in somewhat related news, that the Cape is spinning down ops for two of the rocket programs at the same time. :(

6. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Rock on!

May have to resurrect my Mercury 7 desktop that I was using in honor of Gordo! I think I'll also whip out THE RIGHT STUFF...love that movie...love NASA.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There is a chance I might go and see the launch. I've never been to any rocket launch, so this would be absolutely fantastic.

D

8. relimw macrumors 6502a

Get there early, I'm sure it'll be packed over the whole viewing area. I can normally see the launches from my front door, but I may go out to the beach to watch this one :)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The plan is to drive down the day before (3 of us, so it will be non stop driving) and get there and see what happens. One of the guys I'm going with has connections with NASA, so we might be ok.

The thing is, I don't think it will go off on schedule, but who knows...

D

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Although this is obviously good news, it comes on the heels of some bad news for NASA. Apparently the outgoing chief is under investigation for misuse of funds. Really too bad.

11. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

interesting that he is not aware of the investigation or others.

Wanna know why it is hard to get good people to work for the government. Cause they can make 3 times more somewhere else!

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

I saw that. That's quite a difference. I wonder if it's the same in the "lower ranks" or if it's just the top brass with that kind of a discrepancy?

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The shuttle isnt the most punctual, if you go down there make sure you are prepared for delays. On my honymoon while in Florida (years ago) i had special tickets to view the launch. well guess what happened? Thats right i still have the tickets :rolleyes:

14. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Probably trying to coincide with the Revenge of the Sith Release ;) - more press that way.

15. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    best of luck to the crew both ground and those in teh shuttle

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For your sake I hope that it goes off as scheduled Mr. Anderson. With the over two years of planning for this launch, the only thing that should delay the launch is weather. Hopefully you will some some pictures for us to view.

17. MIADolFan macrumors member

While I dont have it right at my front door... its easily visible from here in Tampa. I love the night launches... but they say that wont happen anymore :(

Those are the best cause it lights up the sky pretty well.

18. relimw macrumors 6502a

You should still get a chance to see the rockets go up at night, just not the shuttle.
    With the launch date in mid-May the weather shouldn't be much of a problem. If it slips two weeks, the weather would be more iffy as we move into the rainy season here.