Space - The Final G4 Frontier. Set your phasers on stun

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 8, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! And its running at 133MHz! WooHoo! Not exactly light speed, let alone ludicrous speed....;)

D

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wouldn't that be the "G3 Frontier"?

Anyways, it'll probably be around a 1W processor at that speed - maybe less.

4. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

heh - the original poster had G4, and I didn't think anything of it - I've changed the headline...

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It is based on the G4 - the thing is that radiation hardened CPUs are much slower than regular ones based on design requirements. So it is a G4 running really, really, really, ridiculously slow....

D

6. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought the article said...
    And that the PPC 750s were G3s and the PPC 7400s were G4s.

7. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oops, that's odd. I did see G4 somewhere in there.

Anyway, that just makes it even worse......:(

D

8. macrumors P6

wdlove

And we wonder why NASA is having problems. They need to move into the 21st Century with there computer systems! It's amazing that what you call slow, BAE Systems says they are 10 times faster than what is in current use!

9. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But did you even look at the article? It is - the RAD6000 that's on the current Mars mission is 33MHz. In order to make things radiation proof you have to sacrifice speed. Its scary, but that's the way it goes.

D

10. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Some of the PPC microcontrollers and specialty chips may only be running 40-400MHz. But some of the applications they may be in, Power Use and/or Heat may be just as important as MIPs.

Glancing back at the PPC page some of these chips are running .25 to 4W

We all know MHz sucks power and generates oodles of heat and the G3s have been doing a fabulous job on the low end of the power spectrum while the G5 is a power sucking monster capable of sucking the batteries of a satelite dry.

The little Mars Rover ran a really low clock rate but still processed quite a bit of data.