Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jobuko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't know what happened but my spacebar suddenly stopped working. Doesn't work on InDesign and also illustrator, haven't tried on other programs but pretty sure doesn't work on them either. It was working fine a few minutes before and boom! stopped working. I mainly use this for quick hand tool/zoom-in&out and this is very irritating that I have to actually have to click on buttons.

This has happened to me before but I think it went out away when I restarted the computer or the program. Restarting didn't help at all this time. Someone please help!!!!!

I use iMac 10.5.8 and it usually works great.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Interesting. Other than the obvious (try another keyboard if possible), make sure none of your Accessibility functions accidentally got enabled. Also make sure you didn't accidentally switch languages, although I doubt that will cause your space bar from working.

If none of that works, we need to determine if this is a hardware or software issue. Try the keyboard on another computer (again, if possible) or restart your Mac holding down Command+S, even after the chime. This will eventually boot your Mac into a command prompt mode. Check to see if the space bar works there. (To exit this mode, type the word "reboot" and press Enter.)

-Aaron-

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Do you have firefox open when this happens?

(If so, try quitting out of firefox and testing to see if the problem persists)

/Doug

jobuko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
THANKS SO MUCH! I quit firefox and BOOM! it's back to normal again! That's so weird, I always have my firefox open but this never happened to me before. Now I can be more productive, thanks again both :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.