Spacefilled, ball and stick etc...which one?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by jeff.macaddict, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

Does the option of space filled, ball and stick, wire frame, or alpha trace change the performance of folding?

If it does, lemme know, I wanna be productive, not like at school where...........

2. Plutronics macrumors member

I actually spent 4 hours one morning finding that out ! if you set the the display to alpha trace and then hit the Yellow button to put the display on the dock , it runs a few tenths of a percent faster !!! ( it's slower if you do a " HIDE " from the pull down menu )

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have a pretty slow machine, and folding goes definately much and much slower on it with a graphical interface! For a mac about 50% of the graphics is coming from your cpu, the other 50% is From your graphic card. So if you have a graphical interface, it will take a bit of power from your cpu! This is very noticable on an older machine like my G3 B&W. Therefore I have installed the terminal app from MC68K. And it makes folding lots faster and doesn't slow down your other programs!

4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I actually downloaded the Folding@Home client last night and joined the MR team.

Over a 6 hour period (12AM to 6AM) it only got to 20%. Is that normal?

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

neoelectronaut, if i remember correctly in previous posts from you, you got an older machine, don't you? Well, folding is slower on an older machine. It takes mine (g3 400) about 50 minutes to do 1 % when nothing else is running.... and it also depends on the WU. So, it's probably fine! You are folding faster then me!! :(

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

*points to signature*

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

owh yeah, also read that you where getting one of those! Congrats on your new machine! But don't get your hopes up kicking my *ss with folding... I am waiting on my dual 1.8!! 1% every 5 minutes per proc! :D

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wait? What? New machine? I've had this since Mid-November, and it's my first Mac. I think maybe you have me confused with someone else.

9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Must be! Didn't you have an old 6500 or something? Probably I am a bit confused...

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Old 6500? Nope, this is my first Mac. Before this one I owned a Compaq 5220, and before that a packard bell.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't know...

About that time thing
    iMac 800: Latest WU for me...

So factor in your 200 extra CPU.