Spaces = Exposé²

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cooknn, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Nothing about OS X Leopard really seemed ground breaking to me - but Spaces definitely looks like it will get a lot of use. This is gonna be like Exposé on steroids :p

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Funny, because it's the one Sneak Peek, probably-will-change feature that I see myself absolutely never using.

3. zane macrumors 6502

I thought Time Machine was kinda ground breaking and I like the idea of being able to share 2 macs screens through ichat av.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

time machine is definitely not ground breaking in computer world, maybe so in mac world. And really caused many guessing, i guess thats what Jobs want anyway-let people talk and guess.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The thing about Time Machine is that sure, it's impressive, especially in it's implementation... but seriously, I don't lose my files. I never have. Barring a catastrophe, I never will. So while it's great and all, it's definitely not a feature I'm going to see everyday. (Sure, I'd use it to do my live backups, but never to "recover" my files.)

The feature I'd use most is iChat screen control, or Mail Notes, or the system-wide ToDo notes... Those are the things that will really infulence my use of the machine.

6. projectle macrumors 6502

I have to admit, with TimeMachine, I am going to go out of my way to loose a couple files every here and there to see how it works out.

It sure would be a nice way to hide something from someone. Write a file, save it, delete it, TM it, edit it again, delete when done...

Oooohhhh... I can just imagine the trouble a few little 8 year olds will get themselves into with this.

"No mommy, I didn't go to crackwhores-weekly.com yesterday night. I promise!"

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

As already stated, Apple is keeping many things top secret. Why wouldn't they? Vista and Leopard are going to be released pretty close together.

I am sure Apple was playing a few games today with the "Notes" and "To-Do" lists. Apple is trying to give MS a false sense of security!

When it comes to classified information, Apple is more secretive than the Pentagon. The only difference is Apple does it for the good of its people.

Today was all about: (1) The transition is complete with the addition of the (2) Mac Pro.

It really had nothing to do with Leopard.

8. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

No, today was about Leopard. But it was about showing just what they had to for the developers .. and maybe to spark some interest. I have a feeling they're saving the big guns.

9. projectle macrumors 6502

What I was really surprised about is that when you look at the OS, nothing really appears to have changed.

Before you pull out the flame throwers, hear me out.

We do have CoreAnimation which gives us a real beefy expose.
    We have a few new updated apps non-essencial.
    And, we have a Subversion with a pretty frontend.

That covers everything that was demoed.

For the most part, none of those are truly revolutionary.
    In fact, I would not be surprised if one were to gain access to an install disk, use Pacifist to install the updated iCal, iChat, Mail, Dashboard, Safari, and AccessabilityTools that everything would run flawlessly on top of a standard Tiger installation.

Think about it... Standard Tiger background, no changed window designs (safari still with brushed metal), finder looking identical, identical icons, same color scheme.

Did we really just see a magic act?
    (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!)

10. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I am soooooo excited about this it isn't even funny. Although the possibility of someone gaining access to my cpu though iChat without my permission somehow is a little scary.

11. projectle macrumors 6502

It is no different than gaining control of your computer through VNC...

Odds are that it is what they are using too for their iChat test.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Umm... actually... when Tiger was previewed at some long-ago WWDC (2004?), it didn't look much different from Panther aesthetically - same wallpaper, etc. It was only in the following MWSF right prior to it's release was the new wallpaper and GUI tweaks truly unveiled.

Stop spreading misinformation.

13. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I had no idea... thanks!

14. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I thought the Leopard preview was really impressive. Time Machine literally had me jaw-dropped. The same goes for Dashboard's Web Cuts. Amazing stuff! Imagine the kind of Widgets you can create within seconds.

As for Leopard's future... come on, people! You know there is more to be shown off by Apple. Chances are good the Finder will get an overhaul in its design. And did you notice iChat has the smooth look now? Safari is likely to get this upgrade, so why not the Finder? Give it time. Apple isn't showing everything mainly for one reason: Microsoft

So be patient and have faith in Apple! :) I'm already impressed... and ready for more.

15. Timepass macrumors 65816

spaces looks kind of gimicy to me. XP has had the multiple desktop thing for years (a windows power toy) really I found it pretty gimicly and never really like it. A friend of mine I showed it to loved it and still doesnt know how he got by with out it. to some they love it to quite a few others (like me) find it exteramlly gimicily and largely useless.

16. projectle macrumors 6502

Panther did not really change that much from a UI standpoint in the creation of Tiger.

I am just saying that now we have a highly inconsistent theme (as the brushed metal is disapearing with each update).

Even in the WWDC, the color scheme changed slightly between Panther and Tiger, the Apple icon went more of a flat blue rather than the glassy glossy one, icons got more pastely (I know it is not a word)

I am just saying that nothing has visually changed to make us know that they just did not load up a couple update non-essencial apps onto Tiger and were demoing 10.4.8

17. p0intblank macrumors 68030

You'd be surprised how many people will use this, like myself for instance. I'm a big time multitasker. At times I'll have Photoshop, iMovie, and iPhoto all open at the same time, each with its own files also open. Spaces will make this a much smoother workspace for me. Also I love how you can drag files between workspaces. That is innovation!

18. After G macrumors 68000

After G

VNC is slow as molasses though. From the demo, it looked like full speed computer control with full colors and real-time scaling! Maybe that's only on a Mac Pro though. That would be a shame.

19. projectle macrumors 6502

VNC runs at any resolution at any color depth at any FPS you want, assuming that you have the network bandwidth to drive it.

We know that they were in the same network segment, so you could stream high definition video at full resolution (1920x1080), 48-bit color depth at 120FPS with 60Mbps.

Lower the resolution and color depth per pixel, the faster each frame can draw.

What I would do if I were to create an iChat with the ability to see the desktop (and I had OS X plus it's standard components to work with), I would use the final render of the main screen fed back into an offscreen buffer, into Quartz Extreme to scale down to 640x480 or a simmilar resolution and downscale to 16-bit pixel depth.

From there, I would do an MPEG2 VBR compression and start streaming.

20. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

yeah that's pretty good... i would ummm... de-triangulate the backside buffer... and ummmm... overclock the megabites...

...i'm an idiot:(

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

And Virtual Desktops have been around in *nix window managers for years...

I like the idea of having it, i use them all the time in KDE/Gnome but iChat needs to integrate with MSN - especially video wise, Dashboard needs to eat less memory, and it needs slightly better Active Directory integration.

If those needs are met I'll be running up Regent Street after Sir Steve's keynote at Macworld to buy a MBP, if they aren't, I'll just walk. Either way I'll make the same mistake as last time, and I don't care, lol

22. n8236 macrumors 65816

I still like Vista's window cascading better, looks cool :)

23. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Thank you! AD integration is sad, really really SAD!

Virtual desktops (Spaces) are cool, just hope apple does it right, with the mac os equavalents I on occasion have the desktop slipping to another because somethign popped up, and notifications comeing from nowhere!

Im personally not really impressed with mail, or ichat. I like mail just the way it is, never really send myself a note, never used a to-do thing either. ichat allowing me to control someones desktop, weee... unless its VNC based and I can control a windows box as well, no use for me.

Hope spotlight search over networks will work on windows shares as well, all my network shares are samba for compatibility reasons and I would love to spotlight them!

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

It looks like Spaces is a kind of Expose that I might find useful ;) Expose itself did not make it into my favorites, but this virtual desktop thing worked well when I used Linux extensively about five years ago.

Great thing if it's done right! Even the old *nix implementation was good, but this seems to be great.

25. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Spaces is like Desktop Manager

There's been a 3rd party app/hack out for some time now for OS X, called Desktop Manager. Spaces looks alot like that, just more polished.

The same kind of features is also present in most Linux desktop distributions. The idea is that you can have several desktops.