Spaghetti Westerns

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Nov 16, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Anyone else here a fan of spahetti westerns, and what are some of your favorites?

2. mico macrumors newbie

Anything by Sergio, of course. I'm still looking for a DVD of "My Name is Nobody". Great film.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL. :D spaghetti westerns. i laughed so hard when i first found out what they were. he he. :D

i can't really say i'm a 'fan' but if a movies good, i'll watch it. :)

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Great Spagetti Western:

"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" or in Italian, "Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo".

TEG

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

6. Geetar macrumors regular

Terence Hill and Henry Fonda starred in the wonderful "My name is Nobody", which should be on every spaghetti-fan's shopping list.

Terence Hill was wonderful in all his Western outings (especially with Bud Spencer...what a pairing!) I'm a longtime fan of the genre (and these guys in particular) and can only say that, if you haven't seen any of the "Trinity" films yet, you've missed out big-time.
    www.shop-fast-easy-dvd.com is where to look, I believe, though rumour has it that the DVD transfers are sub-par.

7. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Il Mio Nome è Nessuno

That DVD is available from at least one company and it used to be available via amazon, it's kind of expensive though in the $40-50 range though might have used copies available for much less.
    If your looking fro something more affordable pick up the Trinity Collection that also stars Terence Hill, it's only like $10 but has 'They Call Me Trinity, 'Trinity Is Still My Name' and 'Boot Hill.' The series is pretty funny and quite worth the 10 bucks.
    And they were definitely not the death of westerns, name an American western that is more beautiful than The Good The Bad and The Ugly?

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not sure that I know what a Spaghetti Western is about? Is it like a B movie Western. I remember watching them on a Saturday growing up. My favorite was Roy Rogers.

9. Geetar macrumors regular

"Spaghetti Westerns" were westerns made by European directors (most notably Sergio Leone), often filmed in Spain with a cast drawn from both Europe and the USA. Some are famous the world over, some were never translated from Italian and remained obscure. Often the protagonists were...er....ethically ambiguous. The (Anti)hero in most of these films is a clear nod to the post-modern mood of the '60s and '70's and the feeling that conflicts that had followed the certainties of WW2 were unlikely to be between sides that were unambiguously Right or Wrong.

The best part about these films is that you can draw a cinematic line from Leone's masterful re-telling of Kurasawa's Samurai pictures, through Clint Eastwood's participation in this whole genre, to the re-birth of the US western in films like "Unforgiven" and other more recent and heavily revisionist views of the Old West.

Oh, and the nods to Film Noir are unmistakeable too, so you could even loosely tie that in, along with more recent SF like "Blade Runner" to this genre if you wanted to go all the way.............

10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am a fan of all Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti westerns. Unless he sings. I can't say that I have seen too many Spaghetti Westerns though. I just watched Clint's stuff from around that time.

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Oh god, Paint Your Wagon had both Clint and Lee Marvin singing if I remember right. I'm glad they're both better actors than singers.

12. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I personally think "The Outlaw Josey Whales" (sp?) kicks ass. That is the one where his family was raped a murdered in front of him and his farm was burned. Then he digs his gun out of his burned out house, practices shooting until he is a master, then goes and kills every last one of the men that killed his family.... I am pretty sure I have the title right.

And then there is "Pale Rider" Preacher - "Nothing like a nice piece of hickory":D

13. X_Ranger macrumors newbie

Re: Spaghetti Westerns

I'm a big fan of Westerns (slang- "Sh*t Kickers") in general. One of my favorites is "Once Upon A Time In The West" starring Henry Fonda and Bronson.

Henry Fonda was great as the Bad Guy - evil through and through. His playing with the "Damsel In Distress" Claudia Cardinal sent chills up my spine as well pissing me off.

It's my understanding that Clint Eastwood was offered the part that Bronson played.

I have preorder the DVD, but it hasn't arrived yet.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Although The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite, A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More are both excellent as well.

15. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Sergio Leone is about the only director anyone has brought up so far, but that is common as his are the most "popular" or known, and for good reason. Aside from Leone films though I would recommend the before mentioned Trinity trilogy with Terence Hill, and Keoma and Django both which star Franco Nero, one of the bigger italian western stars.

16. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

There is an awesome box set put out by newcomers www.blue-underground.com fittingly called The Spaghetti Western Collection, it's 4 dvds: Django (only availble via the box set,) Django Kills (also known as If You Live, Shoot!) Mannaja (aka A Man Called Blade,) and Run Man Run. I definitely recommend picking this up even for the casual fan, the only complaint I have heard about the collection is the bad case of dubbing into english on films such as Django, but who the hell listens to dubbed version when the dvds have subtitles?

17. X_Ranger macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Spaghetti Westerns

DVD arrived today. Will check it out this weekend. :)

18. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Which DVD did you order, Once upon a time.... or the Damsel in Distress?

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not so....sure it wasn't like the other westerns (especially with John Wayne) but we're not talking great stuff there either.

Lione and Eastwood were great - I just got the three Eastwood boxed set (GB&U, FistfullO$, AFew$+) for my dad for his birthday...

These are classics.

As for the best western ever? That's a tough one....don't know if I've seen enough.....but my favorite has to be Good, Bad and the Ugly.

D

20. mico macrumors newbie

Just saw the uncut, new print, first time released in America (uncut version) "Duck You Sucker" at the film forum here in NY this Fri. It was great. I miss films like this.

21. X_Ranger macrumors newbie

Bad sentence construction. Once Upon A Time In The West.

DVD is great though. Lots of extras.