Spain bans skinny models from fashion show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, Sep 13, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

BBC link

I saw this a few days ago, and just thought I'd see what people think of the Spanish government stepping in to regulate who can appear in a fashion show like this. I think that the intention is good, to promote a healthier image for young women, to help curb anorexia/bulimia, but I'm not sure about the implementation. Do you agree with the tack that they are taking here?

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Isnt it a fashion show not a health show?

If you ban skinnies you gotta ban fatties! :D

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I had to live with a guy who was obsessed with models with eating disorders (when I went to Parsons which is primarily a fashion school, actually). He'd sit in our room and drool over pictures of skinny arms and legs. Well, he wasn't that creepy. But he loved what he referred to as "coked out models". We had many an argument that these models were one of the sources of the rampant anorexia in young women. He thought that it wasn't a model's responsibility to keep young women from being anorexic, which I partially agree with.

So, I'm not 100% in support of this legislation, but I am 75%+ in support of it. I think setting an unreal expectation of what a model should look like, of what 'pretty' is, has been causing a majority of the eating disorders you see today. If we can change that to make 'pretty' a more achievable goal, then I say go for it.

Just a funny side note: Lee and I were at Buca Di Beppo's with two friends once, and Bucca's serves huge portions of really hearty food. Lee said, "guys, look behind us, they are all going to throw up after this." Behind us was a table of about 8 or 10 skinny girls feasting on tons of food. Sadly, I think he may have been (at least partially) correct. :(

e

4. Lau Guest

I think if anyone should be doing this it should be the fashion industry, not the government. It shouldn't really have come to this, and the industry changing the way they use models and show clothes would have been a far more effective way of making very skinny models less fashionable than a government ban.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I almost posted this story myself, but more from the health aspect than the governmental one. I don't know what I think from the latter aspect. You can argue that government shouldn't be involved in stuff like this, but then a lot of these models develop eating disorders from the weird demands of this profession, so there are two sides to it.

From the health standpoint, I think this is a great thing. I swear, sometimes I think the people who run these shows hate women and that's why they try to make 'em look like concentration camp survivors.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's not going to change how the models think. They'll (or their managers) will just get craftier...

One of the oldest tricks in the wrestling/crew book-- drink tons of water. Helps you to gain weight quickly, weight that you can then shed quickly.

*shrug*

I still maintain that men and women will still have unhealthy body images until the impossible day that everyone can be seen as beautiful regardless of size, shape, color, etc. Because some people tend to be thinner, others not so, but if everyone truly is told and believes that he/she is beautiful as is, then we'll see a shift. A positive shift.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It'll only go underground, mark my words, just like with Prohibition...

"Pssst! Want some skinny model pictures?"

8. Lau Guest

Good point, and I feel sorry for the models who are naturally skinny and get caught up in this — there are people who really struggle to put on any weight, and being accused of being anorexic/a coke addict/whatever can't be very pleasant for them.

Funnily enough, I almost posted something remarkably similar. :p

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was thinking for a moment that mandatory psych evals would be better than a BMI cutoff... But I think the core problem really has to do more with the "fashion industry" as consumers of this and with real consumers as consumers of this. It's a draw down system. If the "eww those girls are sticks" image really held sway with enough fashion-conscious people, then I don't think this would be an issue. But the person that scem mentioned isn't the only person out there who holds to the beauty ideals that drive models to being so thin in the first place and drive women and men outside of modelling into dangerous behavior....

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That's completely retarded.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

BMI is also a poor measure -- for example, Michael Jordan comes out obese. It works very badly for tall people, tending to rate them as overweight when they are not. This may work to very tall models' advantage in Spain's system.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like this is spreading to Britain.

BTW, mark this: this may be the only time you see me quote a story from Fox News. :p

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't see how the government of Spain gets the right to start regulating the fasion industry there...

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why should everyone be viewed as equally beautiful? The truth is, some are more physically beautiful than others and others who might be considered somewhat homely have an inner beauty that transcends their phsyical appearance.

I see no point in viewing everyone equally. We all have our gifts and that is what should be emphasized, not some utopian idea of universal beauty.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think they want to be good, but it won't work out that way.

I think people who being "paper thin is sexy" need to check again. I don't think being thin to the point that you are staving yourself is "sexy" Not to say I don't like people who have a nice figure.

And sometime I check if they have a good personaltiy;)

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

But should the government be determining that?

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't think any government can force people to change what people think "sexy" is. Government do sometime force people not to say what they think sexy is, but still people think it

As for if the government stepping in, no its not right, just like tell people you can't marry because you love this gender over this gender, or you can do this to you body(IE Woman's right to a choice)

Also I think people should wise up, and know this is not health, and not help if they have this problem, as its a mental disease.

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I haven't agreed with much that's come out of Spain since her invasion of the Americas, so I see no need to start now. :p

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea...that's a shame, too. She went from cute to scary in a real hurry...

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Oh man ... she used to be soooo ... fine. If I was ever within talking distance of her, I'd let her know too. ;)

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Does she have a tapeworm in her stomach or something? Wow she's lost a ton of weight! :eek:

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Brazilian fashion model, Ana Carolina Reston dies from anorexia complications at age of 21.

Attached Files:

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I got an email at my old place of employment with a dozen pictures of anorexic chicks in the fashion industry. Nasty man. Nasty. It makes my stomach churn just looking at them.